1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

r u serious? contact him to say what, it's not what it looks like?

besides, how do we know they didn't try to contact him? but contact or not, isn't this what tabloid "gotcha"journalism is all about?

or did i misinterpret sarcasm on your behalf?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I read the blog item. There was no mention of any attempt to contact Hamilton. Fifty-five minutes later, there is reaction from Johnny Narron, who's job is to keep an eye on him. For what it's worth, Narron says he'd be shocked if the photos are real.

To me, the lamest argument anyone can possibly make is that "I didn't bother to contact him because he'd deny it." These photos may be exactly what they look like -- evidence that Josh Hamilton has fallen off the wagon. But, if somehow, in some way, it's wrong, or dated, or whatever, you've smeared a guy without having the guts to check and see if you're actually right.

Earlier this year, Deadspin did a similar thing by printing an adultery accusation against an NHL player. And, shockey, this is even worse than tabloid journalism, because at least the National Enquirer gave John Edwards all kinds of opportunity to comment before publishing the story about his affair.

I have no problem with snark. None at all. What I've always had a problem with are people who feel no fear because they never have to confront anyone they attack.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And so a whole new set of speculations begins.

4. The Hamilton photos might be doctored, or ultimately innocuous, etc., but they're not dated. MLB Network is clearly visible on a TV in the background of several photos. And that network didn't launch until January of this year.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Apparently, Josh Hamilton's demons are breast men too.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe Warren Spahn was born and raised in Buffalo. Attended South Park High School. I know he lived in Oklahoma later, but calling him Oklahoma's best player seems a little odd, especially over two players who are native Oklahomans. It's sort of like calling Jim Kelly the best quarterback ever from Buffalo even though he grew up in Pennsylvania.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Have to go out...to Toronto's festival of beer, no less...but as I go, the site is saying that a reporter texted them that Josh Hamilton is going to admit everything.

Sad for Hamilton.

Lucky for Deadspin. It turned out to be right, but I won't ever be comfortable with the methodology.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The information above seems to make it a moot point now, but you do know what you described can be doctored too, right? A lot of things are visible in doctored photos, but they're not as they appear to be.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Hamilton's supposedly admitting to "it," the "it" not being much more than a relapse. And let's be honest, no matter how many features and columns his comeback engendered, the odds were pretty good he'd relapse more than once.

http://deadspin.com/5332984/text-from-rangers-presser-hamilton-to-validate-photos

At the end of the photo essay, Daulerio does mention some contact was made between Deadspin and Hamilton, even if it was through the Rangers:

"The Rangers are investigating. Hamilton is aware these photos exist. Statements, no comments, excuses, explanations shall be forthcoming."

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Update: Deadspin was right. Good for Josh for admitting it (supposedly then too) and taking responsibility, rather than blaming the "media."

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Albert Pujols helps out a fan who injured himself by face-planting on the PNC Park dirt while reaching over the railing to try and get a foul ball:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090807&content_id=6299794&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The defense that Zimmerman has been playing has been simply incredible. And Guzman even made a play the other day that was ridiculous.

The Morgan trade turned the whole offense around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.