1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 18: Here's a Quarter, Buy a Klu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

But they get great TV ratings!

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

John O'Reilly in Step Brothers: Yep!

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I will admit to one selfish enjoyment out of this season and that is that Joe Torre appears to be headed back to the playoffs (albeit with a mediocre team) while the Steibrenner family that treated Torre so poorly last year will be watching, Isn't that a happy thought?

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Boats and hoes!

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think this was the most misreported story of the off-season. Their offer to him was very fair, and he could have taken it. He decided to get insulted and walk away. The offer was not kicking him to the curb.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, Guy, after 12 consecutive years in the post-season, your idea of a fair offer is a one-year contract with team options and a cut in salary but incentives based on how an aging team with a bad pitching staff fares.
    Fact: The Yankees were perceived as Joe Torre's team, not the Steinbrenners' team and George's boys wanted the spotlight back so they made Torre and offer they knew he'd refuse.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I disagree, Guy. While the money offer was fine, there was still a definite lack of appreciation and it was evident to the writers I talked to who were there and covered the Yankees that they didn't want him back. They just didn't want the public to know that.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by Hank.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Owner of the Yanks? No such luck.
    Yeah, he was fine with the heightened standards here when he met them, and along with his extraordinary success, came an off the charts salary. He stopped having THAT kind of success - since 2000 has he been better than Sciossia? Gardenhire? - so the money comes down to the level of a post-season manager, with the caveat that if he reestablishes himself as more than that, his pay reflects that. Why should he be paid as a manager of a team that wins the WS 3 of 4 years when he isn't that anymore? When Jeter's contract is over, think he's not going to take a cut? He wilol, and it won't be a slap - he's not producing the way that he was when he signed the old contract. That's good business, and there was no reason for Torre to take offense, and I, as a big Yankee and Torre fan have no problem with him going to take a better deal with LA, but enough with the NBA-esque whining about being disrespected by an enormous contract offer.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wait, so it was Torre's fault the Yankees haven't won a World Series since 2000?

And it's Scioscia.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Sheets would be the perfect replacement for Pavano.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you think Derek Jeter's massive ego will ever allow him to take a pay cut (or move from shortstop) you are delusional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.