1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 18: Here's a Quarter, Buy a Klu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sorry, it said hit me. ;D

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But when he's healthy, he's really good. It's a tough call for any GMs. Ultimately, it'll come down to the number of years on the contract, I think.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's good, but he's also prone to the big inning at times. When he does give up runs, he gives them up in three-, four- and five-run bunches. Lately, those outings have been more frequent than in the past too.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't really looked and don't know other than Sabathia and Oliver Perez, but how's the market for free-agent pitchers?

I can't see Sheets signing for anything less than $12 million a year, but he won't get more than a four-year contract. My guess is he'll get $13-16 million, depending on how late he signs.

5. Bubbler

Woe be to that GM. That's a bit steep for someone who often can't pitch.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What do you think he'll get?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Aren't the Yankees supposed to really like Sheets? Hell, just a rumor of that could drive the price up.

Though a lot could change depending on the problem he had with his forearm tonight.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Right now, I don't think the Yankees are going to be picky. I figure they'll make bids to get C.C. or Sheets, especially considering their rotation is in shambles right now and Chamberlain is expected to go back to the bullpen.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or it could cause everyone else to say "F it" and let the Yankees deal with his problems.

10. Bubbler

I don't disagree with your figure at all. He probably will get something like that because some GM will get snowed into paying it.

In my mind, it'll be a poor investment for whoever is willing to pay it.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate the pitchers' market because teams are so desperate to land a quality arm that Nos. 3 or 4 are easily making 2 money, which means the legitimate aces -- and I think Sheets is still one of them -- can pretty much say, "Who wants me and how badly?" And I don't see it ever calming down.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Glad to see Harang turn it around. Had he been healthy like this all season, the Reds might have been up there with the Cardinals and Astros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.