1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 17: Let's Get Dizzy, Mr. Dean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Along with the rotation being a shambles.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Today's the day!

I'll be leaving shortly for the Twin Cities, destination: METRODOME!

First pitch is 2:55 p.m. and it's Rick Agailara (sp - haven't have enough coffee yet!) Bobblehead Day.

For those of you watching on TV (looks like it's a national game), we're in left field by the foul pole.

I just hope the Twins didn't use up their allotment of runs in last night's win. ;)

Scott Baker starts for the Twins, Jason Verlander for the Tigers.

Here's hoping for a great game.

(Yes, I'm excited, just like a little kid. Never got to a Twins game last season.)

3. Simon_Cowbell

Have a great day.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton. Carlos Quentin's injury hurts his chances in my book.

I sooo wanted to be the one to start this thread. I would have pulled the Pete Stanicek Memorial Thread No. 17 for this joint.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Josh Hamilton has 10 HRs and 26 RBI since the All-Star break and the Rangers are nowhere near contention. He's not even close to the MVP any more.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Who's Jason Verlander?

7. Simon_Cowbell

10 HRs since the All-Star break is supposed to be bad?

My interpretation of MVP is a player who would be most valuable on the most teams in the league.

If Hamilton ends up with .300, 40 HR, 140 RBI, he has to be on a short list.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, considering Miguel Cabrera has 14 HR and 56 RBI since the Break, 10 and 26 would be considered bad (in terms of MVP voting).

And his overall numbers (.289, 31 HR, 110 RBIs) aren't far behind Hamilton's (.301, 31, 121).

Morneau and Pedroia are the top two.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I think Miggy will catch and him.

But right now, Hamilton is ahead of him.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Simon, Hamilton had 21-95 at the break and now has 31-121. Also hit .312 before the break, about.280 since.
    And the Rangers are 17 games out of first place. How does that remotely make him the MVP?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Because I believe that the numbers are the numbers, and just because a guy is on a bad team, matters not a single whit... let me amend that.... If players' numbers are close, then I will entertain one contender's ancillary role on a better team (a role that a guy on a bad team doesn't have a chance at).

Obviously, as was the case with Reyes last year, if he doesn't pull out of the (RBI in Hamilton's case) nosedive, he will be passed ... by more than couple players.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cheer 'em on for me, Rosie!

As far as MVPs go, right now I think it's Pedroia and Pujols.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.