1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 16: The Tom Brookens Joint

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not sure about that, but can definitely say there were a few occasions where he came home drunk.
    My paper route was the two blocks around my house, up and back. It was a snowy January Friday, collection day. I just started going -- he lived 10 houses down -- and he pulled up, left the car running and staggered into the house. When I got done an hour later, the car was still running.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The summer between first grade and second grade, Ray Oyler used to live in a house across the street from out church/school. One day in 1968, they walked us across the street to get his autograph. I still remember what the paper looks like -- crude light purple cconstruction paper.
    When I got older and found out what his batting average was, I was unimpressed. When I played little league and realized that his average was better than mine, I kicked myself for not keeping it.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Scott McGregor just bawled in a dank office somewhere and has no idea why.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Speaking of coke, the No. 16 thread should be dedicated to Doc Gooden.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Manny is getting greeted very warmly in Philly tonight.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Placeholder photo indicating that the original image has been moved or deleted.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So much for cleaning my files. Is it good now?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What's that white powder all over his upper lip? And is his nose running?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's a doughnut. Nothing more. No questions.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's a surprising revelation.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Makes that picture even better.

As for real baseball, I'm pleased the Brewers have somewhat of a cushion on the Cardinals before they go to St. Louis for a 2-game series on Tuesday.

If the Cardinals had a chance to make up the Wild Card margin in the span of one series, a possibility going into the weekend if the Brewers had shit the bed against Pittsburgh, I would have been worried.

The Cardinals have the measure of the pitching matchups this week (way to go, Yost, for not setting your rotation for a crucial series when you had off-days to play with), and there's no way the Brewers are going to go into St. Louis and sweep there as they did in late July.

A split is all I ask.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Bubs, you don't start juggling your rotatrion in August for 2 games against a team that you lead by 3 1/2...especially when you'e going to be spending September chasing the division lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.