1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread IV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Fair enough. But I think you're just jealous cause the Cubbies won yesterday.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I happened to watch the Astros-Cardinals game when Pujols hit the 3-run homer.

That was a situation where there was no good solution for the Astros manager. If he walks Pujols, that pushes the tying run to third base and the winning run to second base. If you walk him, that brings up Scott Rolen (who, it should be noted, singled after Pujols's three-run home run).

What they ended up doing seemed the best choice of all. They threw two balls to Pujols, and then it looked like they wanted to throw a pitch to the outside corner high. When I saw it on the replay, I wondered if it was a strike. Pujols reaches out and hits it over the fence anyway, but it was very high and it seemed like it might stay in the park.

Those rules like not putting the winning run on base and not moving the runner up and intentional walks are bad can generally be true and useful guidelines. But when somebody has hit 25 homers and we aren't out of May, the usual rules don't apply. I think not pitching to him becomes a harder decision when you consider the fact that the Astros and Cardinals are in the same division, so Phil Garner has to set a tone. I think Garner did the right thing and had a good approach, but Pujols is just white hot.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess if you're not sure what to do with him the best thing to do is just drill him.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't give me an "evil tick," I was simply curious if it had some kind of meaning that wasn't obvious. Cripes.

Casty, I think it is a generational thing.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, shottie. So why don't you (and DyePack) just shut up.
    And while we're at, tell the codas to give it up, too. ;D

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

If a Neifi Perez is on deck, then sure, walk Pujols to load the bases. But you don't want to load the bases for Rolen, who has good command of the strike zone and is a great bet to work a favorable count that leads to a walk or a game-busting hit. Walking the bases loaded puts the pitcher in an almost no-win situation. Too often, he ends up either walking the next guy or piping a fastball that says "Hit me."

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pricks to the left of me. Assholes to the right of me. And I'm stuck in the middle with poloponies.

;D

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think the teams that have beaten the Cards in October hve pretty much found a way not to pitch to the guy. I would take the almost no-win situation by loading the bases for Rolen as opposed to letting Pujols get his cuts in at the plate.

Again, when people finally start to pitch around Pujols like 2001 Bonds?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. You's surrounded by pricks. :D

Some wimmen I know would like that! The rest of us, not so much.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I can see pitching to Pujols in that situation, but once the count got to 2-0, you can't mess around with him anymore. Walk him and take your chances with Rolen, who, as good as he is, isn't Pujols.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You suck, shotglass. You suck.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is there any situation -- ANY -- where you'd walk the world's most dangerous hitter with the bases loaded, force in the tying run, and take your chances with the next guy? I'll hang up now and listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.