1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread IV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't you looser Cubs fanboys have a separate whining thread?
    Please stop cuttering up the legitimate baseball thread.
    Thank you ;D

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

As great as Pujols is, and he's probably the greatest hitter in the past 50 years, he's not at the artificial level of Mr. HGH during his late-30s "prime."

It's simply not good strategy to walk a guy if it advances the other runners on base. Especially with a .900 OPS hitter like Rolen in the on-deck circle.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would still rather pitch to Rolen ... every ... single ... time.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jump the gun much, jag?

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, obviously you'd rather face Rolen.

But the situation when Rolen comes up is not the same as when Pujols bats. There's a big difference between having the bases loaded and having runners on first and second -- as was the case Monday.

I'm not jumping the gun on Pujols' greatness. When you look at power, average, homers to strikeouts, no recent player is in his class -- and he's 26.

6. What's strange about Pujols is if you look at Baseball-reference.com's most similar hitters - they list

1. Lance Berkman (889)
    2. David Ortiz (835)
    3. Geoff Jenkins (830)
    4. Magglio Ordonez (824)
    5. Lefty O'Doul (823)
    6. Carlos Lee (822)
    7. Zeke Bonura (808)
    8. Richie Sexson (807)
    9. Matt Stairs (801)
    10. Mike Sweeney (799)

But by age - its

21. Joe DiMaggio (961)
    22. Joe DiMaggio (938)
    23. Joe DiMaggio (951)
    24. Joe DiMaggio (928)
    25. Joe DiMaggio (905)

You would think DiMaggio would be listed as the most similar hitter instead of Berkman. I just found this weird because normally Baseball-reference is pretty dead on as far as the comparisions are concerned (and where is Ted Williams - he's the guy i think is most similar to Pujols?). Matt freakin Stairs and no Teddy Ballgame? Strange

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

When Pujols finishes his career No. 1 in HR, RBI, extra base hits and total bases; No 3 in hits and No. 4 in runs scored, then we'll talk about him as the geratest hitter of the past 50 years.

Easily the best hitter in baseball today, but it takes more than 5 1/3 seasons to become an all-time great.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Greatness is not a cumulative accomplishment.You're either great or you're not. Pujols is already there.

There are folks who say Koufax was the best pitcher of all-time. He had six great seasons.

I don't pay much attention to the baseball-reference lists. I think it's safe to say Pujols is significantly better than Geoff Jenkins.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Intentional walks are almost always stupid.

I don't care if the next hitter is Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols or Jesus Christ.

Almost always stupid.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I agree.

The only time an intentional walk makes sense is if first base is already open and a single has the same impact as an extra-base hit -- such as a tie game in the ninth or extra innings.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't cite the exact stat, because I no longer have the Herald support staff, but back in '04, the Sox went out to play 3 in San Francisco, and pitched to Bonds in every at bat. Boston won 2 of 3 and Barry didn't hit any homers.
    Francona alluded to the fact the Giants' won-loss percentage was something like 200 points higher in games when Bonds got a free pass versus those he didn't. Wish I could be more precise, but would rather go to the driving range than do web research.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I am sorry, but if this is the type of thing which gives people the evil ticks on here, nobody had better tell DyePack or I to shut up when we have one of our little pissing matches in the future.  ::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.