1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 6 - Steve Garvey's got a lot of mouths to feed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A brief video summary of the Pine Tar Incident:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68ckj_gb-pt_fun

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Do the Cardinals have a lot of games remaining at Coors Field?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hollima01.shtml

In Holliday's best years, his home/road splits were . . . interesting.

And Batman: After Duke Snider was passed over for the No. 4 baseball thread, I am delighted to see Garvey get the nod for No. 6.

Did Lasorda get the second thread? About time a Dodger got some love.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What number was The Penguin?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think you can look at the deal trading Haren away in that light, but that's about it. The Mulder deal was done at the perfect time and got a tremendous return. He traded for Holliday thinking maybe they could make a run in the West if everything fell right. It didn't, so he dealt him for a very good return.

Pulling them out of context and saying "he's just dumping veterans for kids every time" isn't fair and it does not allow for a proper assessment of those deals.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Vincente Padilla. Swine flu.

Rangers fans weep. Rangers players ... eh, I dunno ... break out surgical masks or something ... but are too late, because several of them also have been hit with the flu this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4354938&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4354938

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That injury is a fucking blessing.

And apparently, Zack Greinke giving up one run is giving up one too many. What's the record for the most losses in a season with a sub 2.50 ERA? I fear Zack might just shoot to the top of that list.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not sure about 2.50, but Nolan Ryan was 8-16 in 1987 with a 2.76 ERA. My cousin had Strato cards from that year - it was a great year because of the homers - and Nolan had a really tough card, loved punching people out with 5-8 on the card.

8. outofplace

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/neal/2009/07/24/breaking-news-slowey-shut-down-out-indefinitely/

Bad news for the Twins. Rather than making a rehab start tomorrow, Kevin Slowey will meet with team doctors. He was expected to have surgery after the season, but it may have to move up now because his wrist is still hurting.

9. outofplace

If I remember correctly, that was the best ERA in the National League that year. I don't think anybody else was under 3.00.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Unless something changes tonight, the Royals will fall to 10-10 in Zack Greinke starts. This for a guy with a 2.04 ERA.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not quite. :)

Walter Johnson and Bugs Raymond share the record. Johnson lost 25 games with a 2.22 ERA in 1909 and Raymond lost 25 games with a 2.03 ERA in 1908.

Post-Deadball Era, the record belongs to the Padres' Dave Roberts, who lost 17 games with a 2.10 ERA in 1971. Four pitchers have lost 16 games with sub-2.50 ERAs (Friend in '63, Drysdale in '64 and N. Ryan and G. Perry in '72).

Last guy to lose 15 with a sub-2.50 ERA was Orel Hershiser in 1989.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Last guy to even lose 10 with a sub-2.50 ERA was the Angels' Alan Levine in 2001. But he was a reliever.

Last starter to do it was Kevin Brown in '96.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.