1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 6 - Steve Garvey's got a lot of mouths to feed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I take back nearly every horrible thing I've said about Gabe Gross this year.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Step right up and ... ;D

Walkoff grand slam in San Diego.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Mets choking ... hell, that's not even newsworthy anymore.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But no less enjoyable to this Braves fan. ;)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Rangers put Padilla on waivers in June and couldn't find any takers. Tells you all you need to know.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just bought a ticket for Sunday's Dodgers-Braves game.

$5, top deck. Pretty damn good deal.

Except StubHub added $5 for "handling" and an additional $4.95 for "delivery charge" (it's an e-delivery, so I just printed it out. WTF?)

Total cost: $14.95.

Normal price of a top-deck seat is $9-11, so I didn't get fleeced too bad. But still.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

While we're talking tickets....Phils at Mets on Friday, Aug. 21. anyone want to join me? I want to go, but can't find anyone to go with.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Go solo, like me. ;)

(And I'm thiiiiiis close to turning avatars back on, so I can see yours every time. :D)

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think I'll keep changing out Alyssa avatars.

I'd go alone if I loved baseball as much as you do. But going to games to me is a social thing. I watch the game, but I like talking to people too, discussing the game. And if i went alone, no one would bail me out when I charged Ryan.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Can we turn this one up to 61*?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We bought 3 tickets for Angels-Rangers last month. Link from the Angels Web site put us on something called Webticket.com -- an affiliation of TicketMaster.
    Tickets priced at $22 online, plus that damn $5 and the damn $4.95 each. That totaled out to $95.85.
    When the tickets came by FedEx a couple days later, printed on them was the price of $11.50.
    So I called and managed to get the Angels ticket manager, Brian Vance, and I asked him why I had to spend 95 bucks for $34.50 worth of tickets. He hemmed and hawed for a bit. I said I accept those fees, even though I don't like it and can't stand legalized scalping. He said that's a good term for it, but it's all done through MLB, which regulates their Web sites.
    When I reiterated that THEIR Web site priced the tickets at $22 and they had $11.50 printed on them, he said that those were extra tickets that season-ticket holders can buy at a reduced rate. I said, so that's the game, season-ticket holders buy tickets to scalp. It's just not right.
    At least I had the satisfaction of saying that to a real person and not a recording device.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Awesome, awesome game. That's the kind I thought we might get when the series began, before I realized Smoltz was scheduled to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.