1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 6 - Steve Garvey's got a lot of mouths to feed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Always wanted to start one of these. Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit, but I wasn't sure if No. 5 would make it through another day.

Other great No. 6s:
    Stan Musial
    Al Kaline
    Ryan Howard
    Johnny Pesky
    Tony Oliva

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What's the usual protocol?
    Seemed like the dueling Buerhle threads were taking up most of the discussion. There wasn't a lot of chatter about other games, and the day is almost over. Seemed like a good time for it.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There may have been more controversial homers hit than the one on July 24, 1983... but only one that caused a future Hall of Famer to go completely, bat-shit berserk.

And I think baseball could use more characters like Billy Martin.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How about a guy like Barry Bonds ... born on July 24, 1964.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to miss that. But I always thought it was best to start them fresh at the end of a day. That way you don't hit the 60-page mark and get cut off.
    And, considering the events of Thursday, wrapping up the old thread on Page 56 seemed kind of poetic, no?
    Live and learn, I guess.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I like that, Batman.

BTW, keep up the good work in Gotham City ... :D

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Greatest tantrum ever recorded.

[​IMG]

What was Brett's line in the dugout? "If he calls me out I'm gonna go out there and kill him," or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Bobby Cox and Joe Torre (as manager of the Yankees) come to mind. So dose Richie Zisk, though I'm not sure why; believe he wore 22. I think it's because of the similarity between his name and the word six.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Those five are the only No. 6s to have their numbers retired by an MLB team.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord. You guys are killing me. Killing me! Next person to jump the gun dies (though the 56 reasoning is pretty solid. Besides, that was Jim Bouton's number)

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There's also the Rennie Stinnett (six hits in one game) connection.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Too bad this doesn't go into another sport because the most exciting player to wear #6 arguably was Julius Winfield Erving. Better known to many as Dr. J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.