1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Mariners are about to find out if they're for real.

(I doubt it).

But if they go 5-4, or even 4-5 on their upcoming death match through Chavez Ravine, Fenway and the Bronx, they'll probably play buy instead of sell.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first two selections to the Cubs' all-century team:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

World Series preview tomorrow -- Royals and Pirates! :D ;D :)

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Message to John Smoltz:
    Career over. Go the fuck home.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yep. Call it quits, Smoltz. Guy had nothing left in the tank.

As for the Sox, bring Buchholz up already, dammit!

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Buchholz could throw back-to-back perfect games, and the Red Sox still probably wouldn't promote him. They love Penny because he's a dirt dog, and they love Smoltz because he's going to Cooperstown. Seems like they want as much to do with Buchholz as they do Dice-K nowadays.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I still think the Red Sox are going to end up shipping Penny to bring up Buchholtz.

The issue, I believe, with Dice-K is he has a clause in his contract whereby he cannot be sent down. So he's either on the roster, or the DL. That's gotta be nice.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

When you get raked for four runs in the first five batters by the Nationals -- and I don't give a shit what he did after that -- you are done and tarnishing your Hall of Fame credentials.

Of the Braves big three, only Maddux has had the sense to get out while the getting was good.

I hope Smoltz get ripped every time out until the Red Sox finally eat the $5 mill contract and release him. Then he can cry about how he was mistreated, too.
    By the way, who has shown any interest in signing poor little Tommy Glavine who was treated so badly by the Braves?

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'd really hope that the Sox attempt to get rid of Penny. I love the guy and he still has enormous potential, but the Sox still have to consider getting someone to replace Mike Lowell in the future.

There were rumors that the Sox were interested in acquiring Justin Smoak, but I doubt the Cards' will budge on that one.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Can't disagree with a single word of that.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And realized he was done, had stayed a year too long and didn't go around begging for a contract and whining about how he was mistreated.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Smoak is with the Rangers, who the Red Sox were also linked to this past offseason with their young catchers. Penny is probably the most tradable pitcher they have in Boston, because I'm guessing teams won't be able to throw enough at the Red Sox to pry Buchholz away. Even if they don't want to promote him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.