1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 5 - #5 George Brett Has a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I believe your right, Gutter. Of course, the manager can come out and discuss it with the umpires, which could make them want to review it.

I didn't see the play. I guess Cabrera ended up with a double. Leyland didn't come out to argue the home run non-call.

That's just what I could gather from glancing at a Tigers message board.

May not matter, though. Tigers lead, 6-4, in the sixth.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Right, you can come out and plead your case ... doesn't mean that the umpires have to review it. And if Leyland pleaded indifference, the umpire must've felt no obiligation to review it.

3. Hank_Scorpio

They just showed a replay of the double/home run on the broadcast.

It hit the black railing above the yellow line in right center field, and it bounced back on the field, holding Cabrera to a double.

Leyland didn't come out.

Tim McClelland's reaction was great. He was umping at second today. Hard to explain, but you could tell, he was thinking maybe we missed that one.

4. Hank_Scorpio

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the rag-tag Mets take three of four from the Central-leading Cardinals with Johan besting Carpenter today.

Guess the Central must really suck if its best team can't beat the Triple A Mets.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Were you still there when the skies opened up and rained furious anger on Main Street? One of the two nastiest t-storms I've ever been stuck in (other one was also upstate NY at Lollapallooza in 1992, hmm, upstate NY loves its t-storms).

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Man, I think so. It was soooooo damn hot that day, and we got out to the field way early. We were in the first couple of rows right behind the VIP area... and I think we had to get out there at 10 a.m. or so to get that spot.

We definitely didn't hightail it out of Cooperstown until later that evening.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Scott Podsednik's renaissance is for real methinks.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Update: The Gnats put Smoltz on the medieval torture rack already: 2 IP so far, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 H, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 HB.

Gave up 4 in the first.

also: Watching Pat Burrell run is horrifying. Right there with Vladimir Guerrero.

10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The best part of the Cabrera "home run" was Dontrelle Willis running out of the clubhouse to tell Leyland that the ball had hit over the yellow line, but it was too late for Leyland to mention it to the umpires. He did come out after the inning, and the umps talked to him and then to Piniella.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Admiring in silence.

(As my own team sucks almost as bad as the Cubs.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They were pretty good for a large part of that century, just couldn't win the big one.

/cubsfainboilooooooser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.