1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 3 - The Jody Reed Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Braves have 12 RBI out of their 4-hole this year. That's an easy team to beat, even with Livan Hernandez pitching. And the 2007-09 Mets have a way of making losers like Chan Ho Park and Jorge Campillo look unstoppable.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, they made Park look real good last Friday:

4 2/3 IP, 7 R, 8 H, 6 BB

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not a good answer. The offensive expectations from a first baseman are way, way different from a third baseman.

4. Unless you're the Cubs.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The Mets are just good enough to choke again.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A is Todd Helton and B is George Brett.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

If that's the case, Helton is superior to Brett, not that close. [/cowbell]

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'd absolutely take Helton over Brett, every day of the week.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"I'm right - because I said so."

10. That's right. And my point was not that Helton was/is as good or better than Brett but how interesting the comparison is.

Consider that Helton's career road OPS is higher than Brett's career OPS - that takes the Coors Field argument for a loop. Then you start thinking about how the "steroids era" hitter Helton compares to a guy whose only connection to cheating involved pine tar.

The similarities between the two players' numbers was just interesting to me.

I think the conclusion may be that Helton is a very under-rated hitter.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The J.J. Hardy from spring has returned. After a 4 RBI last night, he hits a 3-run homer to the opposite field off Bronson Arroyo in the first tonight.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I almost feel bad for getting upset after Weeks made the first out at the plate. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.