1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 3 - The Jody Reed Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think they're a wash offensively.... and across the board. Buck might be better defensively.. Olivo is a hell of a lot better and getting base stealers. With the way Greinke is throwing right now, Olivo gets all of his starts. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you lose. Buck had a great April, and a great hit tonight... but I don't think they'll be too much difference between the two by midseason.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

A Royals fan last night was telling me they give him playing time because he threatened to leave after last season. I never thought to ask why the team would want a player that's lucky to hit .220 to stick around, but maybe his status as Greinke's catcher gives him more pull than the average shitty baseball player.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I guess it's like having Danny Manning's dad on staff.
    Ha!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't write off Quentin just yet. He was a little streaky last year, too. Even after a week-long slump, he was on pace for 54 home runs and 108 RBI before tonight's game. The power and the patience to draw walks are real. I just think it has taken him a while to get it going again since he left that game a little over a week ago after being hit on the hand.

Ramirez, however, I would be much more worried about. He has no patience and very few hitters can succeed taking as few walks as he does.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Olivo's batting .321/.345/.536./.881 against lefties. Basically, he should always be in the lineup against southpaws.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I see your point, but Jesus. At .210 overall, he's got to be hitting about .095 against righties then.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The real thread title shold have been "From Babe Ruth to Evan Longoria"

And fuck shitty players like Jody fucking Reed.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

WFFW.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out I said the Yankees would miss the playoffs with less than 90 wins in, like, November.

10. B!
    Y!
    Ah, fuck it.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

twenty-six games, beej.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy shit. Lump in the throat after reading this incredible story about the Braves' Greg Norton, who was 16 when he discovered his mother's body after she was murdered by his father:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090505&content_id=4580286&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl&partnerId=rss_atl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.