1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 12: No cutesy nickname I can think of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I still think the timing of Sexson's decline is an interesting coincidence.

Are the Yankees just not developing good young players to the point that they have to go out and sign Sexson? And did Cashman not read The Last Night Of The Yankee Dynasty?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They are lacking in the position player area, yes.

And I'm guessing Cashman read that book, or didn't care, cause he lived it.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Those are all possible things, Angola. They're just, I don't know.... ridiculously intangible. I've never met Richie Sexson. All I know is the guy is super tall and appeared to be slightly hot-headed earlier in this season (and, in All-Star baseball '98 when you clicked the Z button on the N64, his 'hot zone' encompassed his entire swing. It was some sort of glitch). But I suspect he really tried his hardest and that his swing, his knowledge, his ability didn't just suddenly disappear because Adrian Beltre hit in front of him or behind him.

He didn't cost much, but I doubt he'll be much of an improvement over Betemit or whoever the hell the Yankees were trotting out there.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Dunn has great strike-zone judgment, something Richie never truly developed (though, he did have some years with a high OBP).

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We shall see Ken. We shall see.

I could see you writing a column on him soon.

Or on how Mike Mussina is better than Johan at this stage of the season.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I won't disagree that Santana's been a disappointment for the Mets, he has been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.