1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 12: No cutesy nickname I can think of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think the Twins are tough because their games are usually eight innings when they're leading by three runs or fewer. It's usually lights out when Nathan pitches the ninth.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is definitely a part of it. It is difficult to find a closer who can be reliable for a long period of time. Nathan has been among the elite in the game every season since 2004. Other than Mariano Rivera, who among the current elite closers has been at that level for that long?

Trevor Hoffman was there for a longer period of time, but he is no longer a top closer. Francisco Rodriguez did not become a closer until 2005, though he was dominant in a set-up role in '04. Papelbon had not even reached the majors yet. Billy Wagner missed part of 2004, when he had only 21 saves, and he really isn't on the same level as Nathan or Rivera.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hearing Cubs getting Rich Harden? Is that right? For Murton and Gallagher and Patterson?

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Cubs land pitcher Rich Harden from Athletics
    Eds: APNewsNow.
    CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Cubs have acquired pitcher Rich Harden from the Oakland Athletics in a six-player trade, a day after the rival Milwaukee Brewers landed CC Sabathia.
    The Cubs will receive the right-handed Harden and righty Chad Gaudin for pitcher Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer John Donaldson.

Is it just me or did the Cubs steal Harden?

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's a huge move for the Cubs. The Cubs have one of the most dominant rotations in the league, I'd say.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If by some miracle Harden can stay healthy the entire season, this is a great trade for the Cubs. He really could contend for a Cy Young Award some year if he manages to stay off the disabled list.

If not, well, at least Matt Murton finally gets his freedom.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Great move for the Cubs.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Harden's good for 12-15 starts -- a season. He'll probably pull a hamstring during the press conference.

If he does stay health, though, this is a huge move. Making the Cubs' inevitable choke all the more amazing.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Do the Cubs put Harden at No. 2 behind Zambrano?

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Co-worker just said, "I don't understand this from the A's' standpoint." Reply: "I don't give a shit about that."

Wow. Way to pull the trigger, Cubs! Like this deal.

Yes, KY, he'll be the No. 2. It won't threaten Z's fragile ego but will still strengthen the rotation.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I like Gallagher, but you have to give up something to get something, and I really like this move. They get to keep Marshall, Pie, Cedeno, Ceda, Vitters, Colvin and Castillo.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Please, please, please, please keep Marshall in the rotation and put Marquis in the pen. With only one lefty in the pen, I'd like to keep two lefties in the rotation.

And Marquis always sucks in the second half.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.