1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball themed gift for a 4-year-old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A kind-hearted co-worker signed on for one of those deals where you provide a Christmas gift for a needy kid.

The card she drew is for a four-year-old who likes baseball. She asked me for advice. I thought maybe a glove and some sort of apparel with the local team's logo. Maybe one of those Starting Lineup or MacFarlane figures?

I wouldn't trust a kid that young with a bat or a regulation baseball. I don't know if something like baseball cards would work. I think kids that age are more interested in hands-on things rather than things to look at.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to pass them along. Gracias.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

At this age get them something they can use and play with. They will be very hands-on. Cap, apparel, figure of a favorite player...

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I just bought my nephew (3 1/2) a glove with a squishy (I think it's foam covered) ball, all approved by his mother. There are also tee sets that come with a foam covered bat and a foam ball.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A glove, ball and Boston/Yankees/Cubs, etc., hat.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just an idear:
    [​IMG]

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, go all the way. Tie his right arm behind his back, and give 'im these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fishwrapper

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

On a serious note -- tying his right hand behind his back was only half-serious ... ok, 55 percent ;) -- I agree with the T-ball set. A child who enjoys exercise, and baseball is nothing if not enjoyable exercise for a 4-year-old, is a healthy, happy child.

Another suggestion is a baseball book. Reading can never be started too early. Doesn't matter if it's an illustrated kids book, like <a href="http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/02/arodbook2.jpg">this one</a>, or even a coloring book, like <a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=Mgj7IUty8LwC&dq=story+of+baseball+coloring+book&pg=PP1&ots=3a7cTBk8ij&sig=btVIqFG_JSVLxPY15OCW7B9VoS8&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fq%3Dstory%2Bof%2Bbaseball%2Bcoloring%2Bbook%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Diw&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail">this one</a> (a personal favorite, I might add!). You can never go wrong with giving a kid a book.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon, Buck-Dub ... the kid's a little young to master "Moneyball" or SABERmetrics. ;D

10. fishwrapper

Is he for hire?

[​IMG]

He will teach the young man about respect and staying loose in the batter's box.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, I was only thinking starting small. "Total Baseball," perhaps. ;)

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a replica jersey.

Draft saved Draft deleted