1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Pitchers duel?
    Pitcher's duel?
    Pitchers' duel?

I'm thinking the first one, since it's a duel b/n two pitchers, but I'm not certain.

2. At least you got "duel" right. I can't believe how many writers I see who use "pitchers dual." I want to slap them.

FWIW, I use the first one.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

is this under the same theory as girls basketball?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sort of.

Pitchers duel. A duel between pitchers.

They're involved in the duel, not in ownership of it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. It's the first one.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

14-game hit streak.

OR

14-game hitting streak.

If the streak is active, I use hitting. If the streak is over, I use hit.

Thoughts?

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

There are some old-school people I know who would say none of the above. It's not a duel unless someone's going to die at the end. "We don't write like Sportscenter speaks." Kind of has some merit, but mostly just blowing hot air. I'd go with pitchers duel, as well.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Duels didn't always result in someone dying. With the inaccuracies of pistols at the time and the fact you had just a few seconds to aim, the likelihood someone would get hit and killed was small. Not that it didn't happen, just didn't happen every time. So, you could have a duel without someone dying.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Gotta disagree with this, buck.

It IS their duel. They ARE in ownership of it.

Pitchers' duel.

10. By participating in an event, do you automatically assume ownership of said event? I say no.

Pitchers duel.

You could probably also use "pitching duel." Maybe.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've found the best way to figure these sorts of things out is to substitute something else in their place that makes it easier. For instance, you'd never say "women basketball" instead of "women's basketball" -- it's a plural possessive, so it's "girls' basketball" instead of "girls basketball."

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

True. Andrew Jackson was in a bunch of duels, was shot at least once, and suffered periodically from the effects of that shot for the rest of his life.

Draft saved Draft deleted