1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball stands ordered torn down for being better than softball's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DeskMonkey1, Mar 29, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have little trouble imagining that if there were some legal benefit to arguing the opposite, most claiming that the two sports aren't similar to be compared would suddenly be insisting that they are completely interchangeable.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If baseball and softball aren't considered essentially the same sport, boys and girls lacrosse sure as shit shouldn't be considered the same sport.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In all of the other analog sports (basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, lacrosse, swimming, hockey where it applies), the boys and girls players can use the same facilities.

That can't happen between baseball and softball.

Title IX dictates that they both have facilities, and that the facilities be "equal." Does the nature or position of spectators' viewing areas add or detract from the students' ability to use the facilities?

I'm with Bob Cook. It sounds like there is a lot more going on here and Title IX was the convenient headline.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit if they're carbon copies. One team raised the funds to build bleachers and the other team didn't.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If it's off-the-field things that benefit only fans, I don't see how it is limiting the opportunities of the softball players.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Actually, it never was one school for the Plymouth kids and one for the Canton kids ....

And, how did a school end up with a mascot like Rocks? Originally it was Plymouth Rocks. In 1972, two years after the Plymouth High was moved to the current campus, Plymouth Canton was opened, and Plymouth's name was changed to Plymouth Salem. When Plymouth High opened, "Plymouth" was dropped from the Canton and Salem names. Confused yet?

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm emailing back and forth with someone from the district now, and while I still have a lot of questions out there, I can say this with authority: the seat removal is but a symptom of a lot of what appears to be an internal struggle between a new superintendent and athletics all around. Recently, one of the high school's girls soccer coaches was fired, for what a parent said was use of an "inappropriate word." It appears the OCR investigation brought some things to light, but, again, the government did not order the seats taken out.

8. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I'll just say this: Those arguing "baseball and softball are two different sports" forget that there is nothing in either rulebook that specifies what spectator seating must be like.

In other words, "two different sports" is irrelevant to the argument about what seating should be like at a field.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think Bob's posts here make it pretty clear that the issue itself is not what we think it is.

But, to your point, baseball/softball are the only sports that need different facilities, so it's the only place the situation would even come up.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In working on this for my BLOG, I heard from one of the guys who has been all over media, including Fox and Friends about this, and he confirmed: his and the other boosters' beef is with the school, not the government. It sounds like there are a lot of communications issues between boosters and the administration, especially with a new superintendent coming in after the investigation and agreement. In fact, the booster said he was trying to make this point to Fox and Friends, but they didn't care to hear it. The stands have been up since 2001, by the way. This particular booster hasn't been involved since 2009, when his son graduated.

Draft saved Draft deleted