1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball/Softball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Discussing unearned runs...must be a lot of prep writers and NL Central fans in here

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

NL West here. Fuckin' Zito. But yeah, we had a doubleheader in our circ last week where a team had 24 errors...and won both games ::)

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm guessing that would depend on the high school association's rules. But if you go by the notion that you have to play half the innings, rounded up to the nearest whole number (9/2=4.5, or 5 innings; 7/2=3.5, or 4 innings), then I would assume that is a regulation game.

Though it might behoove the team that has no lights to start the damn game earlier. But that's just me.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

No. One said yes. Another said no. They asked who they thought was an authority. Me. And I've been scouring the net trying to find out.

Keep in mind this is high school, where, for many coaches, the whole concept of declaring hits and errors can be a mind-bender.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Here's my feeling of a stupid quirk in the rules - I feel it should be mandated that a game should be played to completion if at all possible.

One time, the Yankees were losing 3-0 to Baltimore, and they scored five runs in the top of the seventh. Then it rained so hard the game couldn't be played. The five runs happened, but according to the rules, it didn't happen. The rule should be that the game gets suspended and will be played unless it is not possible. With modern surfaces and the teams having incentives to not lose money on doubleheaders, there are fewer rained out games than there were 30 years ago.

If a game is suspended because of a curfew - I think in the American League it was 1:00 am, they simply play from the point the game was suspended.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes, four innings is official game.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

That rule was changed about 20 years ago, Gold. That Yankees game, in which Earl Weaver stalled his ass off to get it rained out, would be ruled suspended now.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And MLB greatly expanded the ability to suspend a game either last year or the year before. Used to be it had to be this situation, where a team either tied the game or went ahead and the home team didn't get a chance to reply. Now, I think, any situation in which an official game has been played but a winner can't be declared will result in a suspension. So if a game is tied 3-3 after seven, and it starts to rain, it'll be suspended. Used to be that game would be declared a tie, the stats would count and it would be replayed from the beginning.

(In minor-league baseball, they'll suspend at any point after the game begins, even if it's the bottom of the first.)

I'm open to being corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it is now, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted