1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball/Softball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A pitcher is only required to get three outs.

It doesn't always have to be an error on the third out for runs to be unearned.

Take the Detroit-Chicago game last night. Guillen committed an error, in what would have been the second out. Chicago went on to score six in the inning, but only one was earned.

Uribe's strikeout would have been the third out, so everything that scored after that is unearned.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think baseball's rules allow the official scorer to change a ruling up to 24 hours after a game or just before the first pitch of the following game. But I don't know if you'd consider that "retroactive" or not.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

mlb.com has the whole rule book online

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp

4. also, i believe that if a team changes pitchers after the error, anything scored off the new guy is earned (unless there's an error charged when he's pitching). so pitcher A gets two outs, then gives up a fly ball that's dropped, followed by a homer and a single. then he gets yanked and pitcher B gives up a homer. all three runs charged to pitcher A are unearned; the run charged to pitcher B is earned.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I hadn't given that much thought, but it looks like you're right. Also, it is possible for the runs to be charged as unearned to the team but earned to the relief pitcher. Odd.

"Rule 10.16(i): When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not have the
    benefit of previous chances for outs not accepted in determining earned runs.
    "Rule 10.16(i) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.16(i) to charge a relief pitcher with earned runs
    for which such relief pitcher is solely responsible. In some instances, runs charged as earned against the
    relief pitcher can be charged as unearned against the team. For example:
    (1) With two out and Peter pitching, Abel reaches first base on a base on balls. Baker reaches
    first base on an error. Roger relieves Peter. Charlie hits a home run, scoring three runs. The
    official scorer shall charge two unearned runs to Peter, one earned run to Roger and three
    unearned runs to the team (because the inning should have ended with the third out when
    Baker batted and an error was committed)."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

In RVS' example, all runs are unearned to team but earned to relief pitcher who comes in after the error has extended the inning.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

This is why you can't compile Team ERA by simply adding all individual ERAs. Makes doing stats a real pain.

8. i saw beat writers from the padres and dodgers nearly rumble in the dodger stadium press box over whether or not runs were earned. i wish to god i could remember the dispute, because it was awesome.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's really not a stupid quirk. The earned run average is supposed to measure pitching. There can be a question on an error - should it be charged to a pitcher or a first baseman, third baseman, or catcher?

Think of it this way buck... if a pitcher doesn't allow a hit for nine innings but makes an error which allows a runner to reach base, it's still a no-hitter.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

High school.
    Game goes four innings, then is called by darkness.
    Is this an official game?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The coaches don't know?

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Who were the writers?

Draft saved Draft deleted