1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball/Softball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Apr 7, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Forgive me guys, having a brain fart. It's been seven months since I've done a baseball gamer, but if two runners reach base on back-to-back errors and the third batter knocks one of the two into score, is it an RBI?

I ask this because for some reason I can't remember if it's credited as an earned run or not.

Thanks for the help.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, but it's an unearned run.

3. schiezainc

Thanks. :)

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No problem. And if the error is made with two outs in the inning, every one who scores is an unearned run.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box, here, so correct me, please. Are you saying that if the bases are empty with two outs, and my fly ball bounces out of the right fielder's glove, and my team scores eight runs, they're not all unearned?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I got what you're saying, Buck. You're going with the "runners are already on deal," right? Because I wasn't. I should have made it exclusive. My fault. (Unless I'm wrong on the other, in which case I've been wrong my whole life.)

7. I think what Buck was getting at is if the error was an error of advancing a base as opposed to reaching first. For example, on a short tapper, if the third baseman goes Chuck Knoblauch on Keith's mom, it may be ruled a base hit and E5 for the batter to reach second. Thus, there was an error with two outs, but that doesn't mean all future runs are unearned.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That makes sense, too. I wasn't thinking that way, obviously.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Going back to the first post, RBIs and unearned runs are independent of each other, right? A pitcher can have a slew of unearned runs but batters can still get RBIs with them?

Damn, been a long time since I've kept a book too. Covering a few seasons of bad prep base/softball will make you an expert on every obscure play.

10. Buck,

So you're saying that if the bases are empty with 2 outs and Batter A gets a base hit and advances to second on the throwing error, followed by a homer by Batter B, that both runs are unearned?

How is that so? Batters A and B would have scored regardless of the error. Thus, doesn't it become a dependent variable and not necessarily unearned runs?

11. schiezainc

And this, my friends, is why bowling has the best scoring system of them all.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My interpretation in that case would be that the runs are earned. If you replay the inning without that error, the homer still happens, and both runs still score.

Draft saved Draft deleted