1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

spnited, the SID is far from clueless. He'd never run into the situation before and didn't have the NCAA rulebook handy. As for how I wrote it on deadline, "suspended and unlikely to resume" seemed like the easiest way to convey to the readers what happened.

After checking the rules, the SID discovered the revert rule. But by that point the paper was already put to bed. Today, there will be a brief follow explaining under NCAA rules the gave reverted to the sixth inning, blah, blah, blah.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, Inky, but a SID who doesn't know the rainout rules is pretty clueless.
    It's basic baseball scoring that does not require a NCAA rule book.
    Five innings equals an official game. And since the visiting team did not score in the 7th, there is no reason to "revert."
    It's an official game ... period.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, he is not clueless. He's the hardest-working, most helpful SID in the state.

So how do you designate the seventh in the box? Just put an X like if the home team was leading in the bottom of the ninth? Add a line that reads "Game ended in the middle of the seventh due to rain"?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Game called after 6 1/2 innings by rain."

I don't doubt he's as helpful as anyone in the world, but to call a 6 1/2-inning game "no game" makes absolutely no sense.

I'll admit I'm a baseball rules freak. I used to explain rules to my Little League coach when I was 11 years old (you know, because I was there when the first games were played in Hoboken, NJ)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

spnited is correct.

6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

This.

In all seriousness, if it's a conference game, some leagues have rules on what happens in the event of something like this. I think the revert rule is pretty standard (experienced that last season), but that's no slam dunk.

When you get to the midweek games, that's quite literally the wild west of college baseball.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

NCAA gives an option of two nines, two sevens, or seven and nine.

As for the situation at hand, the visitors won if they led after six. It's a basic baseball rule. A game is official after five innings. Why couldn't the SID figure this out? He's clueless.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The NCAA has all kinds of rules. It depends on what was agreed to in the pregame conference or what the conference rules are, if it's a conference game.

Normally, what has been said is correct. After 5 innings (4.5 if home team leading), if the game does not reach a normal conclusion, then it is declared over. If necessary, you would revert to the last completed inning.

However, the NCAA has a "halted game" rule. If it is adopted as a conference policy or agreed to in a non-conference game (rare, but it does happen), then the game is suspended at any point and must be resumed and completed to count. Typically, this rule is only used in conference games.

It's all in Rule 5 of the NCAA rulebook, which is available online.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know of at least one D-II conference that has four-game series, with two seven-inning games and two nine-inning games. Typically they play the sevens in a Saturday DH, with one each on Friday and Sunday. But there's a school that won't play on Sundays, so their series are two DHs, with a seven and a nine each day.

Seven-inning games are weird anyway.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Big Ten, at least when I was around a few years ago, used to do the same thing on four-game series. 9 on Friday/Sunday, with two 7s on Saturday.

If a game got suspended by rain, they would complete it the next day, so you could have a Saturday with three results.

Minor-league baseball also plays 7-inning games in DHs.

Draft saved Draft deleted