1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Game is called in middle of 7th inning due to rain. Is it a forfeit, suspended (and not to be finished) or erased completely?

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

In the majors, game is completed if one team is winning (although it reverts back to the last full inning; the home team can't be penalized for not being able to bat). If it is tied, it is suspended, stats count, game replayed from the start. Only way it is erased is if it doesn't go 4 1/2 (if the home team is winning) or 5.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guessing the home team is losing?
    Should be suspended then.

4. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

We are talking major league game here, right?

5. Inky_Wretch

Negative, it's a college game.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm fairly convinced college baseball has no rules. They cancel mid-week games all the time.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The teams decide if a college game resumes, at least at the juco level. I've seen teams go through a lot of trouble to finish a suspended game that would be considered a final in the majors, even playing at little podunk high school fields if the infield is dry. Maybe its a conference rule that games must go whatever number of innings they must that day (Juco doubleheaders in this conference this year are seven for the first game, nine for the second, which makes no sense whatsoever).

8. bueller

bueller Member

In the majors, there is no reverting. But if the visiting team took the lead just before the rain and the home team didn't get its full at-bat, it's a suspended game.

I don't know the current college rules. When I was in college and covering the school's team, the NCAA book did have a revert rule. The alma mater picked up a win one early-season night because of it.

The reliever who had his blown save erased by the rain smiled and had this to say about the three-run homer he served up: "That never happened. Look at the boxscore." A future major leaguer on the team pronounced that it would be a turning point in the season. Too bad they finished with a losing record.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would it be a forfeit?
    If it is suspended, that means it will be finished at a later date.
    Why would an official game (more than 5 innings) be erased completely?
    Care to give more details of score, circumstances, etc. so we can tell you what the rules are?

10. Inky_Wretch

I was just spitballing. That was one of the three options we came up with in the press box. The school's SID was stumped too.

Visitors were up after taking lead in the sixth. It starts sprinkling in the bottom of the sixth, then raining in the top of the seventh. During the stretch it starts pouring. After about a 25 minute delay, the coaches agree to call it.

The SID did some research and said it was "no game." In the paper, I said it was suspended and unlikely to be resumed at a later date.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I would say if anything it would revert to the end of the sixth, official game.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unless the visiting team took the lead in the 7th and the home team never got a chance to bat, it is an official game...done, over.
    Suspended means it IS going to be resumed. It can not be "suspended and unlikely to resume." It is either an official game or a suspended game and in this case, it's official.

How can any SID be so clueless as to say it's no game? And how can you write "suspended and unlikely to resume" when suspended by definition means it is going to be resumed?

Draft saved Draft deleted