1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Two outs, OF drops routine fly. Runner tries to take second. Thrown out.
    Can the pitcher still throw a perfect game?
    I would have put this in the journalism thread, but this is video game baseball related and it got my mind racing....

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Perfect game is just that. Where NO ONE reaches base.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rhody, that's not a perfect game. The runner reached first base via error.

As Hank said, NO runner can reach base at all. Doesn't matter if the play is not over. If a guy gets a single and gets thrown out trying for second, it's still a single.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And that's also a tough way to lose a no-hitter in your example, bw.

Not that there's an easy way to lose a no-hitter.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If a hitter gets a clean single (regardless of how he acts on the bases), hey, you've just got to tip your hat to him.

There's been enough instances of pitchers allowing hits but facing the minimum. In fact, Buehrle's done it three times (the only pitcher in the last half-century to do so) -- his two no-hitters and a few years ago with a 2-hitter.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I know you were on edge to how it went, but I lost the no-no in the fourth and the shutout on a slew of errors.
    Dice-K still picked up the win, throwing eight innings with no earned runs. It def. was a video game because that is impossible in reality.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I once carried a perfect game into the ninth inning with Pedro. In a clinching game of the World Series, no less. Was very frustrated when I lost the perfecto.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When it was your turn to bat, did your family sit on the other end of the couch from you, not wanting to jinx the no-no?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn. Good nugget, Buck. I did not know that.

Strengthens my case for Buehrle's HOF status.....(ducking)

:)

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Some of us live alone. Don't judge. :D

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Nope. The pitcher might get a no-hitter out of it, but if a batter reaches on an error, it's not a perfect game.

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Can there be an error in a perfect game, or can an error be recorded even if a player doesn't reach base? Early in the game, easy popup in foul territory, dropped by the infielder, scored an error and pitcher goes on to retire all 27 batters.

Draft saved Draft deleted