1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paper Guy, May 25, 2009.

1. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Tell me if I'm wrong -- if there is an error that would have been the third out in the inning, and then a team goes on to score, all of the runs after that error are unearned.

With that in mind, is the same said of a balk? I know a balk isnt an error in the box (as far as i know). But if a pitcher balks in a run, is it unearned? And if runs score after that, are they also unearned?

Thanks for any help!

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

If a pitcher balks in a run and goes on to record an out on the batter he was facing, the run is unearned. If that hitter reaches safely on a base hit, the run is earned.

Here's the pertinent part of the earned run rule:

While the inning is still being played, this last scenario can cause a temporary situation where a run has already scored, but its earned/unearned status is not yet certain. For example, with two outs, a runner on third base scores on a passed ball. For the time being, the run is unearned since the runner should still be at third. If the batter strikes out to end the inning, it will stay that way. If the batter gets a base hit, which would have scored the runner anyway, the run now becomes earned.

Correct me if I'm wrong though ... I think this is right.

Edit: This is Major League Baseball Rule 10.16

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes to part one.
    No to part two. A run balked home is earned because it is the pitcher's fault. It has no effect on subsequent runs.
    Same goes for a run that scores on a wild pitch

4. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Thanks guys!

Quick, too :)

5. The runs are unearned against a team but if a subsequent reliever comes into the game and allows runs, his personal stats are earned runs, even though they are unearned against the team, because a pitcher does not receive the benefit of an error committed prior to his entrance into the game.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the batter would get an RBI in the second situation because he would have driven in the runner had he been standing on third base.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

No. The rule for RBIs:

I've had several high school coaches pad stats using your reasoning. It can't be an RBI if the batter didn't put the ball in play.

Draft saved Draft deleted