1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, May 20, 2009.

1. CCaple

CCaple Member

Ahh, good call. My mistake.

2. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

No, CCaple, you were right originally. The play at first is actually an appeal play, not a force out, so the run scoring would be a timing play. As long as the runner on third scores before the out is recorded at first, the run counts. In that case, the defensive team could still, even after the third out, appeal to third to take the run off the board.

To add, here's the approved ruling in rule 4.09 that covers this (At least the run scoring part, doesn't have R3 leaving early but the run is valid until the play at third is appealed):

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Excellent grab, Juice.

In the case of Ethier, he did not cross the plate before Lopez put on the tag. Just Vanover trying to make himself the story.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Simon, I think you were right the first time. If I'm reading this rule correctly, this example indicates the runner at third tagged up, in which case the run would indeed count. But in CCaple's example my understanding is the runner did not tag up, but simply broke for the plate. If that is the case, then I think you wave off the run the same as if a routine double-play was recorded.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I dunno.

If they aren't calling that out at first a "force out", it seems that you had better appeal that "Ethier runner" at third.

6. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

The problem is thinking of the runners (both at first and third) as force outs. They're not forced out. It's a play that has to be appealed. That makes it a timing play. That said, an "advantageous fourth out" can be recorded when it takes a run off the board. In the case CCAple mentioned, the run would count unless the team appealed to third base. If they don't, the runner on third is assumed to have tagged up legally and the run stands.

Draft saved Draft deleted