1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, May 20, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And not be credited with an official at-bat

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

please tell us you're kidding

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I don't think the first baseman blew it. The guy on second had decent speed and was running the whole way. He said after the game that he thought the ball had gone through for a hit. Didn't even realize that it hadn't until after he crossed the plate and saw the batter heading back toward the dugout.
    The second baseman, where he got the ball, had no choice but to throw to the right field side of the bag and the first baseman couldn't have seen the runner. The first baseman really had no chance to make a play at home.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Another quickie....
    Runner on third, no outs. Guy hits a grounder to shortstop, and the defense is conceding the run. The shortstop makes a bad throw to first and the batter reaches on the error. Does the batter get an RBI?
    When I'm scoring (usually high school games I'm covering), I give them the RBI. I figure if it's an out he gets the RBI, so why should he be penalized for the fielder's mistake?
    By the letter of the law, though, is that the right call?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

RBI all the way.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Batter is safe on an error by second baseman, runner from third scores. Runner would have scored if scored if second baseman fields ball cleanly and records out at first base.

Question -- does (or can) batter be credited with a run batted in?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Mr. X, that's an RBI. If the routine play results in a single out and a run scored, an error on that play that still allows the run to score gives the same RBI to the batter.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

On these types of plays, it's the judgement of the offical scorer as to whether he/she thought the run WOULD HAVE scored.

In the cases above, it sounds like the run would have scored, so RBI all the way.

When there is a flyball to shallow outfeld, and the OF drops it, it's up to the scorer whether a SF and RBI are warranted. Me? First thing do is see if the runner is tagging. If not, definitely no SF and/or RBI. If so, then I must decide if the runner would have beaten the throw, based on his/her speed, the OF's arm, etc.

In high school, I often side with the SF. In college and up, I would often side wth the no SF.

9. CCaple

CCaple Member

How about this one:

Runners on first and third, one out. Guy hits a fly ball to deep right field. Runner on third takes off immediately and crosses the plate. Right fielder tracks it down, makes the catch, then easily doubles off the runner who was on first, because he took off, as well.

Three outs. But the run still counts, unless you go back and tag third base to get what would amount to the fourth out of the inning. So you have to turn a triple play with one out to prevent the run from scoring.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Something similar happened in a Dodger game a few weeks ago with Ethier getting credit for a run scored.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No.

That run scored because Lopez TAGGED Pierre instead of stepping on the bag for the force.

The run does not count in scenario above.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great call, Simon.

Draft saved Draft deleted