1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 25, 2008.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If SP departed with his team behind in the score, and his team never tied or led, he takes the loss no matter what else happens.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Thanks, SoCal....that's what I thought. Like I said, I'm a little rusty and, frankly, it's too early for baseball anyway. There was snow on the warning track :p

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Is there a PDF file or website that lists these rules? I think it'd be kind of cool just to have it bookmarked for situations like these in the future.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Here's one from a few years back that I'm still struggling with.

Guy on third, one out. On a swinging third strike, the catcher boots the ball after it smacks in and out of his glove and rolls behind him (it's bad high school baseball).

Guy at the plate goes to first, guy at third goes home. Guy coming home is out catcher to the pitcher at home while the batter reaches first safely. If the catcher had chosen to go to first, he would have had the guy there as it took everyone a second to realize what was happening.

Obviously the guy coming home is out 2-to-1. But how does the guy reach first? K-PB, since the catcher booting it allowed the guy to advance, or K-FC, since the other team could have gotten him out at first and did record an out on the play?

The next batter walked, then the guy after that homered, so the original batter in this scenario did end up scoring in the inning. I hate bad high school baseball.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

K/FC ... runner is out on FC, 2-1

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

While we're discussing rare scoring plays -- let's bring up this one:

If a relief pitcher comes into the game with a runner on base and said runner is out on a fielder's choice, then the batter who reached safely becomes the responsibility of the pitcher relieved. Had the original base runner not been on base, then the batter would have been out -- so you can't pin the run on the relief pitcher.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dropped third strike (with no runner on first) is live ball. Runners advance at own risk.
    No different than a grounder to second with a man on third.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

FIELDER’S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner. The term is also used by scorers (a) to account for the advance of the batter-runner who takes one or more extra bases when the fielder who handles his safe hit attempts to put out a preceding runner; (b) to account for the advance of a runner (other than by stolen base or error) while a fielder is attempting to put out another runner; and (c) to account for the advance of a runner made solely because of the defensive team’s indifference (undefended steal).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

My first thought was K/PB, CS 2-1, Buck.
    But then I changed my mind because I don't think you can have a PB and CS on the same play.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think you could if the runner was stealing second on the pitch and he advanced to third after the catcher allowed the passed ball.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no caught stealing there, freelance...SB and PB...not PB and CS

Draft saved Draft deleted