1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 25, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

PM'd this to a few people on here, but ...

Guy steals second and the throw sails into the outfield. Guy gets up, tries to make it to 3rd, but is thrown out. Error? No error?

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

No error.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wrong.

E2 on the throw. 2-OF-5 for the putout at third.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

SB, PO 8-5. No error because no extra base was taken on the play.

I think the C wouldn't get an assist because of the wild throw, but I might be wrong (in that case, it's SB, PO 2-8-5).

Either that or ...
    No stolen base, E2 (wild throw allowed runner to take 2nd), PO 8-5. That doesn't make much sense, but if a good throw would have gunned the runner down, you can legitimately call an error.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

SB, putout 8-5.

6. SB, E2 (throw), 8-5 on the putout.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but the guy never made it to third. So how can there be an error?

You wouldn't charge the right fielder, for example, if he overran the ball on a routine single and then threw out the overeager runner trying to take second.

8. I'm trying to figure it out, too.

If there's a runner on 3B and the pitcher throws it to the backstop, but the catcher throws the runner out at home, there is no WP, right?

That makes me think you take away the error in this case. Otherwise, if the pitcher still gets a WP, then the C in this case still gets an E2.

9. bueller

bueller Member

Stolen base, no error.

OBR 10:12 (d)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just proves what I've always said.

Never listen to buckweaver when he starts talking about baseball. :D :D :D

11. Leave it to the rule book to squash our discussions on these situations.

Remember "Ask Hal, the Referee," from The Sporting News? I loved trying to answer those before reading what he had to say.

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Bump...different question. I'm a little rusty.

Just covered a game where home team wins, 10-8. Visiting SP gives up first eight runs, including runs that caused final lead change. RP enters with 8-3 deficit...that deficit eventually goes to 9-3 and 10-5. I gave the SP the loss; the school's SID gave it to the RP. Who's right?

Draft saved Draft deleted