1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Scorer's discretion. Scored either K-WP or K-PB. Further, KS(WP) KS(PB).
    General rule, if it's in the dirt it's a WP.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

If the ball hits the dirt or goes well wide of the catcher, wild pitch.
    As for our original play, I lean toward fielder's choice. Sure, if the shortstop just eats the ball right there, it's a hit. But since he decided to try to get the out at third, fielder's choice. But if you score it a hit, no one ought to lose a minute of sleep.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

First scenario: Hit all the way. You cannot penalize the batter (who would have been credited with a hit had there been no one on base) if the fielder tries and fails for an easier play. However, had the base runner been tagged out at third, then it's a fielder's choice and the runner owes the batter a big fat apology.
    Second scenario: pitch in the dirt is a WP.

4. HockeyLou

HockeyLou New Member

That would be a base hit. And yes, you can have a strikeout/wild pitch just as you can have a strikeout/passed ball.

5. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Another great thing about the "official book" at HS games is that the more often than not the 16-year-old girl keeping score b/c her boyfriend is on the team sometimes has no idea what she's doing.

I had one game last year where they kept asking me. It was probably their only accurate book all season.

6. AVSE

AVSE Member

one note on the strikeout/wp and strikeout/pb. If that baserunner comes around to score, it's an unearned run on the K/PB and an earned run on the K/WP.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think in this instance, you have to make a subjective call as to whether the batter would have beaten out the hit had the SS gone to first.

Since the ball was deep in the hole, and you say the SS probably didn't have a play at first to begin with, I'd give the batter an infield single.

Now, let's say it's a routine ground ball to the second baseman, and he decides to try to get a runner going home and fails. I'd rule that as a fielder's choice, since it would have been a routine out of the fielder had gone to first.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Interesting...good lookin' out. I'm sure that'll come up in a Podunk game in the next couple weeks...

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The rule of thumb in these cases is clearly spelled out for scorers. If "extraordinary" effort was necessary to record the out, then you rule base hit.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what if the shortstop does make an extraordinary play and throws the runner out at first? Does the batter get credit for a hit, irregardless? Seems only fair.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Of course not, Ace. Let's call it the "common sense" rule of thumb.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Bring common sense into it. What about the feelings of the poor batter?

Draft saved Draft deleted