1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Runner on second, no outs, batter hits a grounder in the hole between third and short. Third baseman misses it, shortstop gets it but is deep in the hole and probably doesn't have a play at first. The runner, seeing no one covering third, breaks for third. The shortstop runs to the bag to try and tag the runner out, but doesn't quite get there and the runner is safe. It's a close play.
    So....does it go in the book as a hit, since the batter probably would've beaten a long throw to first? Or a fielder's choice, since the shortstop tried to make the play at third?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Probably hit but ...

Error if scorekeeper determines 3B should have made the play.

FC if scorekeeper determines SS had a shot at throwing him out.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about. I guess it depends on what "misses it" really means.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He just didn't get to it. One of those balls that's in between the two guys, and was just out of the third baseman's reach. Definitely not an error. If the shortstop isn't backing up the play, it's a clean single to left.
    For the record, the folks in the pressbox talked me into chalking it up as a fielder's choice. They thought the shortstop had a shot at the batter. I was watching the shortstop, though, and it was a fairly slow grounder in the hole, plus he was going to his right and would've had to take that extra step to set up and make a long throw. The batter wasn't terribly slow, so I'm thinking he'd have beaten the throw for a hit.
    I listened to them, then had scorer's remorse later on.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My guess is FC too. If the shortstop fielded it cleanly and *could* have thrown it to first, I don't think it can be a hit. Not sure you're allowed to factor in the batter's running abilities.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a base hit. Plain and simple.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So were you the official scorekeeper or were you keeping score for a story?

If you were the official scorekeeper, I'd probably rule it a hit if you didn't think they SS had a chance to throw out the runner.

If you were keeping a book for a story, you would need to check with the home team's official book to see how they ruled it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ace, unless it's Steve Balboni tied to Greg Luzinski running to first, it's a base hit.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds that way, but our Batboy got led astray by the pressbox wags.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

base hit all the way

12. AVSE

AVSE Member

Having done some scoring for a minor league baseball team, I can only offer what my ruling would likely have been:
    Hit.
    The reason: The SS fielded a grounder deep in the hole and would have had to make a great throw just to have a shot at the runner at 1B. The decision to try at third was a last-ditch effort on the part of the SS because he knew that was his best chance at an out, but no out was guaranteed.

Draft saved Draft deleted