1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Apr 11, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Does a pitcher take the loss if he starts, goes five complete for the losers who never had the lead, gives up 4 runs, none earned?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What was the final score? What was the score when he left? Did any of the guys he left on base score?

Fact that he didn't allow any earned runs is moot.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

If they were losing when he left - and they never tied the game after he left - yes, he takes the loss.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(He said they never had the lead. I didn't answer because, theoretically, score could have been tied.)

6. goalmouth

The losing team was never tied. OK, thanks everyone. Seems contradictory -- no earned runs on pitcher's record, no walks, HBP, error or wild pitches, but gets an L anyway after brutal fielding by his team.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who would you give the "L" to? The shortstop?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like that. No earned runs, give the L to the player with the most Es

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bad news for Ryan Braun.

10. goalmouth

It's from a minor league A game. The SS made two errors in one inning, I'd give him a one-way ticket back home to Tin Can Island.

11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Or Miguel Cabrera.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If his team trailed the entire time he was in there and never tied the game, yes he takes the loss.

If they tie the game and someone else coughs up the go-ahead run, that other pitcher takes the loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted