1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jul 1, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think this is fairly obvious, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm hoping someone can verify. I'm asking because, um, well, of a video game. So shut up.

Tie game, bottom of the ninth. Bases loaded. Batter hits a ground-rule double. Do two runs score?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nope... and it's not a ground-rule double. once the ball bounces, one run scores, game over, it's a single

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. Single.

4. MLB Rule 4.11 (abridged):
    (c) If the home team scores the winning run in its half of the ninth inning (or its half of an extra inning after a tie), the game ends immediately when the winning run is scored. EXCEPTION: If the last batter in a game hits a home run out of the playing field, the batter-runner and all runners on base are permitted to score, in accordance with the base-running rules, and the game ends when the batter-runner touches home plate.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unless you're Robin Ventura and Todd Pratt decides to molest you between first and second base.
    Then you have hit baseball's only grand slam single.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a great day to be a Mets fan. Even when they win, they reach a futile status.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

While we're at it, this happened in a MLB game earlier this season. I was watching it on TV, half-paying attention, so I didn't quite get the official scoring decision.

Runners on first and third, 1 out. Fly ball to right field, right fielder drops it but still recovers in time to get the forceout at second. Runner on third scores.
    Obviously a fielder's choice, 9-4. But do you charge an error? I may be answering my own question, but I think the answer is yes -- if you drop a foul popup, it's an error even though the runner doesn't reach.

And does the situation change if there's no runner on third and no run is scored?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No error because the out was recorded at second base..simple fielder's choice.

9. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Sure, I'll join the party too.

Runner on second and third, no outs. Fly ball to center field and the runners are tagging up. Runner from second goes to third, but the runner on third is thrown out at the plate. Is it still considered a sac fly since he did move at least one run over or does it have to be the lead runner?

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I would think it would have to be the lead runner... same situation, if there were only a guy on second base and he tags and goes to third, it doesn't count as a sacrifice fly.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Runner on second and third, batter drops down a suicide squeeze to try and advance the runners.
    Pitcher fields it; only play is at first, but the hitter beats it out.

Score the play.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Only way to score a sacrifice fly is if a runner scores. Moving a runner from second to third on a flyout is not a sacrifice fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted