1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, May 22, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Team A had runners at first and third with one out. Runner on first tries to steal second, but is caught in a rundown when the pitcher picks him off. As Runner A retreats to first, Runner B breaks for home. Second baseman for Team B throws home and cuts down Runner B at the plate as Runner A advances to second base.

Does this go down as a stolen base for Runner A? Defensive indifference?
  2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm thinking it's a straight stolen base for Runner A and a caught stealing for Runner B with an assist from the second baseman, but will defer to the more knowledgable scorers. It's certainly not DI.
  3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is a plain ol stolen base.
    Well, with a 2-6-2 CS of Runner B.
  4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Point is right. SB for Runner A and CS for Runner B. But I believe you have to include the whole pickoff sequence in the CS (i.e. 1-3-6-4-2, or whatever it was).
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Didn't want to inflate the team's SB numbers more than they already were (had seven stolen bases, one defensive indifference and the CS).

One other one for you folks: Runners on first and third, no outs, guy drops down a sac bunt. Catcher tries to get runner at third, all runners are safe. It still goes down as a sacrifice and not a fielder's choice, correct?
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sac/FC ... sacrifice, no official at-bat ... safe at first on fielder's choice.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm not absolutely 100 percent certain but in the case of a double steal no stolen base is awarded if the lead runner is retired.
  8. hankschu

hankschu Member

Actually, the runner out at home is charged with a caught stealing and the other runner reaches second on a fielder's choice.

There can be no stolen base when another runner is caught stealing.
  9. Point of Order

Good point! I think you guys are right.
  10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK -- Here is one I had to deal with yesterday -- Team A has a runner on second.

Pitcher of Team B throws pick off attempt to shortstop covering the base -- the ball is wild but it bounced off the shortstops leg and rolled to the second baseman.

Runner apparently didn't really see the ball and jumped up and broke for third but was thrown out by second baseman.

Is there an error on the pitcher for the bad throw or no error because an out was made?
  11. Point of Order

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

no advance = no error
Draft saved Draft deleted