1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Scoring Question(s)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 7, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Two on. Two out. Batter pops up in foul territory. First baseman drops ball — clearly an error on a fair ball. Next pitch? Three-run homer to left.

Is there an error charged to the first baseman?

Are all three runs unearned?

2. chester

chester Member

Yes, because it prolonged the inning.

3. No, because it didn't advance the runners.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes and yes, no matter if the ball is fair or foul. You drop a popup, it's an error.

5. nevermind. Chester's right. I'm wrong. See? I admit it when I'm wrong. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Error

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It is theoretically possible for a pitcher to have a perfect game AND for his team to have an error (or more) in its scoreline.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Theoretical question: Pitcher has perfect game until ground ball goes through first baseman's legs. Right fielder picks it up, guns out runner trying to advance to second. All other hitters retired. Perfect game?

I'm thinking no... but am curious.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

That would not be a perfect game because the man would have safely reached first base.

What I was talking about is a fielder dropping a pop foul that allows an at bat to continue, thus being charged an error, but the pitcher still retiring all batters faced.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Walter ... no.

Pressboxer.. yes. Error is charged for extending the at bat. Pitcher still retired the batter. No one reached first base. Perfect game.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just an ordinary (OK, not quite) no-hitter. Once a batter reaches, he reaches.

On another note, anyone else think it might be an idea to have one running, stickied scoring-question thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted