1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question: Blown save

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dodiad, May 24, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Correct, AQB. Meaning pitcher A is not Aaron Heilman.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Amen. Win, loss, save. Keep it simple.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hate you.

But not as much as I hate Aaron Heilman.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't know if Pitcher A would get the hold, though. Doesn't the rules say that to receive the hold the pitcher must record at least one out? According to dodiad's description of the game, it doesn't sound as though Pitcher A ever recorded an out, but rather only gave up the triple. Yes, he left without relinquishing the lead, but the failure to record an out is what I'm curious about.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no rule for holds. It is a fraudulent stat.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I edited my earlier post. I'll re-post it here.

To clarify: Pitcher A enters the game with a 2-0 lead. He loads the bases, and is pulled. Pitcher B allows a bases-clearing double and the team loses 3-2.

Therefore, he leaves the game with the lead intact, yet is responsible for all three runners. So Pitcher A can get a hold and a loss at the same time. (Of course, Pitcher B is tagged with the blown save.)

Just illustrating how bogus the hold stat is.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Not saying you're not correct, but have you seen this in any box scores? I have never seen a case where a pitcher was both credited with a loss and a hold.

I completely understand your post and reasoning, I'm just not sure if MLB has ever recognized something like this before and credited a pitcher with a hold and a loss in one outing.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please someone show me where a hold is an official MLB stat.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It's not to my understanding, but when you see those box scores you always see the H's and crap.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

holds are crap.
    ever seen a pitcher to charged with a blown hold?

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

No. Because that's pointless. If blown holds were a statisic, Heilman would lead the league. ;D

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

You realize, of course, that a reliever who gives up a lead in the seventh or eighth inning get charged with a blown save, even though we all know he was not in there to finish the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted