1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball query for the SJ masses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Satchel Pooch, May 31, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Mrs. Pooch asked me this the other night, I didn't have an answer, but I know someone on here will:

Have there ever been back-to-back inside-the-park home runs?

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

That's fricking hilarious ... well done. Stupid softball.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Saw that in a softball game earlier this year (not that one, though)

4. Answer's yes, Satchel. From About.com.

On 8/27/77, TOBY HARRAH and BUMP WILLS of the Texas Rangers hit back-to-back inside the park home runs ON CONSECUTIVE PITCHES in the seventh inning as the Texas Rangers beat the Yankees 8-2 at Yankees Stadium.

Prior to that, MARV RICKERT and EDDIE WAITKUS accomplished the same feat for the Chicago Cubs on 6/23/46.

5. Even if that's not correct (not all that reliable) I'm pretty sure there has been. Some reason I was thinking the Blue Jays had this happen back in the 80s with Lloyd Moseby and maybe Barfield or Bell ... damn, what an outfield.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jays had hit 27 inside-the-park homers heading into this season, never had two in the same game. Dan Petry of the Tigers did surrender two in what I presume were back-to-back starts against the Jays in 1983: one to Jorge Orta on May 25 and one to Lloyd Moseby five days later.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

[​IMG]

Any bigger hellhole in MLB history?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, but it was our hellhole.

And there are times sitting in the Rogers Centre on a beautiful summer afternoon with the fucking roof closed that I miss Exhibition Stadium. Guys pissing in the concourse--not so much.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

JR's right, it was our mistake by the lake.

Saw plenty of concerts from the grandstand on the right and more than a few full stadium shows.

That's the old Hockey and Canadian Sports Halls of Fame building in the bottom right. The Argonaut Quarterback Club (as I recall it was at the far left of the grandstand as we see it here) was always jumping after football games and there was a bar in the parking lot between first and home that I frequented many times.

Ah, memories.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup, it sure was. Thyey musta won, what 10 AL East titles, 6 AL crowns and 4 WS titles?

wait... ;D

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As with all things Canadian there must be a French-language version:

[​IMG]

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If they Jays hadn't choked against the Royals in the 85 ALCS, they beat the Cardinals in the World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted