1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Player Comparison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 21, 2010.

?

Which of these two players do you think has better Hall of Fame credentials based upon their statist

1. Player A

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Player B

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Both Players are HoF Worthy

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Daniel Nava

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Player A has played 17 seasons and is known as a great defensive player. He has won 8 Gold Gloves and hit 387 HR. His career OBP is .376, OPS .903 and OPS+ 131.

Player B also played 17 seasons and was also known as a great defensive player. He won 10 Gold Gloves and hit 389 HR. His career OBP was .342, his OPS was .817 and his OPS+ was 126.

Which player has the better Hall of Fame credentials?

I know it is easy to figure out who each player is but please don't name them until people have had a chance to vote.

Thanks

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think the greatest difference is the positions they played. And, as is more often than we prefer to admit, the quality of the teams they were on. The eras they played in, in terms of PEDs and stadiums, also play a factor.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Without giving away too much, positions matter. So does being a key member of the modern version of the '27 Yankees. MVP's matter, too. And All-Star Game selections.

I think the other guy might get in eventually, a la Jim Rice or Andre Dawson, but right now he seems to be one of those guys who had a long, productive career and falls just short.

I hate using this metric in most cases, but here it's semi-valid. Ask 100 casual sports fans on the street if they've heard of one of these guys and 99 will say yes. The other guy would run less than 1/3, I'm guessing, if that.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Without knowing their positions, there's really no way to compare them. Both players have potential HOF numbers as a SS or CF. Neither do as a 1B.

5. So you are saying those numbers are HoF worthy for a SS or CF?

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I decided not to look up the players, but a lot would have to do with eras for me (along with positions). If player A put up those numbers as a first baseman in the 1990s, no, not a Hall guy . If he put them up in the 1960s, maybe. Also, would want to see what parks each played in.

However, since you want a straight answer, I would go with A because of the OBP pecentage is a lot higher, and his adjusted OPS is slightly better. I hope thise helps your experiment.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

catcher!!

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Player A, almost certainly. Player B is borderline.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is either one Nava? Otherwise, I'm leaning no and no.

10. Neither is The Nava.

And no and no means you would be making a big mistake on at least one of the players.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was kidding, position and era are keys to the question, it's a pretty good statistical cherry-pick though.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you're going on just those numbers, A has the advantage in every category except homers. But this vote is in a vacuum; there are, as has been mentioned, too many caveats to base a HOF vote on these numbers alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted