1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball outing in Buffalo end of July.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is beef on weck on the menu?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saw on Priceline that the Holiday Inn downtown, which is a little over a mile from the Adams Mark/the ballpark and right on the rail line -- and, importantly, near Anchor Bar -- is about $100/night.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hadn't talked to any hotels because I didn't figure there would be enough demand to work a group discount, but I'll be up there this weekend and could maybe drop into the Mark on my way by.

Also, as originally suggested by JR and endorsed by a typefitter, I'm toying with the idea of checking into some sort of sightseeing option. Pretty sure City Hall (which gets tf's stamp of approval) is closed on weekends, but for those who just saw the Travel Channel program, 10 people might be a big enough group to get a tour of the Central Terminal. Just messing with some ideas at this point.

And Duff's is still better than the Anchor, but the patio at Gabriel's Gate in Allentown might be the wing place of choice this time of year.

Add: And now that I think about it, Gabe's is just around the corner from the Holiday Inn. Hmmm.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't think there'll be a group large enough to warrant a discount. But I'm thinking it can't be peak season in Buffalo and if you wait it out a bit -- I'm a natural procrastinator -- you'll get a deal. (MM got a really cheap hotel in Cleveland last year by Pricelining it a couple days before.)

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I'll wait until close to the date and then use Hotwire. Won't matter if we're all staying in different hotels ... Buffalo ain't that big. :)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why I'm glad we didn't do it this weekend.

The border wait at Queenston/Lewiston is reported to be three hours, Buffalo/Fort Erie, two hours.

Happy Canada Day!

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

What's your best estimate for what that delay would be this Thursday? I'm headed to Woodbine.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The border wait times today is going into the USA.

If you're going into Canada next Thursday, wait time could be all of ten minutes coming in and an hour back to the US. US Customs is a hellhole

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Thanks. That's fine with me. I don't care about the delay getting out of Canada, but I don't want to miss the early double.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Nexus-only Whirlpool Bridge in the Falls last Friday evening...zero wait.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So everyone's trying to leave Canada on Canada Day?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Everything is closed up here today!

Draft saved Draft deleted