1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball outing in Buffalo end of July.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Baseball outing in Buffalo?

Hey, you hittin' on my woman? :)

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sp if you get there I will buy you one or more! As I recall you picked up a few for me at the Toronto outing. The least I can do!

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

While the lure of possible free beer is probably too strong to resist, you might still want to check out the Century Grill on Pearl St. just south of Chippewa. Right across from the Hyatt. Great, great wings and good, cheap beer.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not too close to Kansas City?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just kidding.

But, it's not like Buffalo is on the coast. It's pretty much fly over country too.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Anything west of Westchester County is flyover country to some. Great ballpark in Buffalo. Pilot Field was the prototype for downtown baseball stadiums, I think it even predates Camden Yards. And Jack McGinty's on Swan Street, right across the street from the third-base line, has cheap beer and defend comfort food for pregame, and there's plenty of nearby affordable parking just off the Oak Street arterial near the old Post Office Builkding.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Looks like it's official: per JR's original suggestion last winter, we're on for the Buffalo Bisons-Pawtucket Red Sox series at Coca-Cola Field. I believe JR and HC are targeting the game on Saturday evening, July 23, but feel free to stay for as long as you like.

And at some point during the weekend we need to raise a glass to spnited.

When: July 22-24, 2011. First pitch: 7:35 p.m. Friday (with postgame fireworks), 7:05 p.m. Saturday, 1:05 p.m. Sunday.
    Where: Corner of Washington and Swan, Buffalo, N.Y.
    What: Watch some once and future Mets and Red Sox at a pretty nice Triple-A ballpark, eat/drink/be merry, and participate in whatever other debauchery we can find or create in downtown Buffalo that weekend. (Note: closing time is 4 a.m. in Erie County.)

Hotels: TBA. The Adam's Mark is the closest, but there are others within a mile of Coca-Cola Field. One of those, the Hyatt Regency on Main St., is close to the nightclub scene on Chippewa St., has a higher rating than the Mark, AND is right on the Metro light rail which drops you off across the parking lot from the first-base gates. Definite option. Both of those are probably in the $150/night range. If you're looking for something at or under $100, you're probably out by the airport and/or Thruway, but traffic isn't much of a problem and parking is reasonable. Marriott points? There's one out on Millersport, and two more across the border in Niagara Falls, ONT. Speaking of which ...

Canada: If you're thinking about heading across the river to Fort Erie or the Canadian side of the Falls, be advised that the U.S. Customs Service now requires a passport (or equivalent) for ALL border crossings. This has changed in the last two years; the driver's license/birth certificate combo most Americans were accustomed to using will no longer suffice.

Tickets: I already have an account with the Bisons, so I'll be putting together an order. PayPal works for me, or if you'd rather not go that route, either PM me here -- yes, I'll be checking this account -- or email to xxxxxxxxx to discuss details. If we get 20+ for any of the games, I think there's a small discount ... but the top seats are an outrageous $11.50 at full price, which should leave some pocket change for peanuts and Cracker Jack either way.

And of course they have Canadian beer (Labatt) in the house, along with a new Craft Brew concession stand with Flying Bison products on tap. Good stuff. I was working when I was up there last month, but definitely plan to check it out next time I'm sitting in the stands.

So, hope to see some of you there!

Bisons July 2011 schedule
    Buffalo News (pre-Opening Day): New scoreboard, lights and manager will greet Bisons fans Thursday

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bookmark.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Micro is right. Pilot Field is the first retro/downtown style ballpark I think - Camden came a few years later with the same designers.

Keep forgetting the Mets are the MLB affiliate now. Boo. Go Tribe!

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Digging this up. Some personal commitments have me up this way about that time, so I'm choosing this over Chicago (sorry, YF, nothing personal).

Hope we can drum up some more support for this -- would love to see folks like Farmer J and patchs show up, if they could.

I'm getting into town Friday mid-morning and leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday. Anyone else planning on showing up other than pseudo, HC and JR?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

P.S. Hey JR, would you be willing to change the thread title to let folks know it's happening next month?

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Thanks for digging this up, I totally missed it. Dr. J and I are saving for a cruise, but I really want to go to this and I think patchs was interested too. I'm almost 100% sure we'll be able to make it, but we have to find a good hotel deal. We're both on vacation that week.

Hopefully we'd be in for the Saturday night game.

Draft saved Draft deleted