1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball outing in Buffalo end of July.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have not but I will.

My interest in architecture stems from a friend of mine who studied architecture at U of Toronto and built a modestly successful practice. We were roommates in university and he explained to me in great detail about how buildings "worked".

I'm a rank amateur but there are times when I can look at a building and figure out why it does or doesn't work, not just in design terms but how the building relates to the site.

As my friend always said, "God is in the details"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Loved their homemade sausages. HC gave their corn beef hash two thumbs up.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love architecture. An ex was an architect and she got me into it. Calatrava was (is I suppose) her favorite. And my next door neighbor is an architect's office. They're talented as shit.

Chicago is a great city for architecture.

I've taken my parents, & my nieces & nephews on the Frank Lloyd Wright home & studio tour.

Dad, being from Buffalo, brought up his work in Buffalo. Next time I visit, I'll be sure to explore.

But Fallingwater is so fucking cool looking. have to get there.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I agree YF on the Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Chicago. Bonus is that the Hemingway museum and home is basically in the same neighborhood. Really want to see Fallingwater. I had no idea there was a FLW thing in Buffalo. Would have gone when we were there for Bruce concert a few years ago. Oh well, reasons to go back.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the Hemingway museum. I'll have to look it up.

My parents are coming back out in September and I need to come up with plans to keep them busy.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

More than one, though tragically, the Larkin Building is long gone. Darwin Martin had a house on the shore of Lake Erie -- Graycliff -- in addition to the one downtown. Two of his executives at the Larkin Soap Co., Walter Davidson and William Heath, also had smaller homes built.

The West Side Rowing Club stores its gear in a boathouse built from a Wright plan, and he even designed a mausoleum for the Martins. (The 1929 stock market crash put an end to that construction, but it was recently completed from his draft.)

There's one more planned Wright building in the works, too: Next spring, construction is supposed to begin on a filling station inside the expanded Pierce-Arrow museum, just the other side of the 190 on-ramps from the leftfield fence at Coca-Cola Field.

Of course, I'll always have a soft spot for Fallingwater, since the general contractor, Walter Hall, was from my hometown. His home, Lynn Hall, used many of Wright's concepts ... but he started construction before going downstate to work on Fallingwater, and there's some discussion over precisely who decided on some of the key elements there.

Lynn Hall:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. We were planning on going to the Boat House but never made it. We'll add those other buildings to our next Buffalo trip

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted