1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Info Solutions - anybody worked for them before?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Apr 9, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm having to get creative with bringing in dough right now, and saw this on Craigslist among the ball busters and toe suckers. Apparently this is the advanced stats company associated with Bill James and they've been around a while.

Anyway, they are hiring contractors (I wouldn't call it freelancing) to score minor league games for AA and above. Not great money - $25 per game, with kickers available for above-average accuracy and working more games as the season progresses. They have season tickets to get you in and reimburse parking. You aren't recording pitch types, but that's about it. They have very detailed criteria for describing different ways the ball is put into play.

Has anyone here done this or other work for them before? Wondering how good they are about paying on time, having enough games to work (they try to rotate among 5-6 scorers, with two at each game) and the like.

http://www.baseballinfosolutions.com/Sites-Remote/minorad.html

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's John Dewan's company. John was a founder of Stats Inc. I did some work for him back in the mid-90s. He's a pioneer in advanced analytics. Good guy. Don't know how BIS treats it's stringers, though.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

$25? You'll spend half of that on gas and cold drinks.

Assuming your set-up/game/sending takes three to four hours, you're making less than minimum wage with no perks (like free leftover Whoppers).

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

John's great and so is BIS. If you know anything about datacasting/stat stringing, it's pretty standard stuff. MLB hires a couple dozen people every year for the same type of gig. It's a fun, easy gig if you have the time for it. (And yeah, the money's shit. Do it because you enjoy it, not because you need the money. As Smasher notes, you may actually lose money doing this depending on time/distance.)

PM me if you have any questions.

5. Sportvision pays better ($50 per game) if you can get the work.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dixie, I think what Smasher is saying is that you'd be better off being a toe sucker.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That costs me more than a trip to the ballpark. I mean, wait, what were we discussing?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Would you be tracking something that is not tracked by the game's regular scorekeeper?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So what are you saying, I don't read so good?

Draft saved Draft deleted