1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF: Who makes it in addition to Ripken and Gwynn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's hard to think of him among the best ever when he only merited Cy Young votes in four different seasons, but only three in the top five (1984-3rd, 1985-3rd, 1989-4th) in 22 seasons. Sutton had five.

Add in that he didn't reach 300 victories despite that longevity, and it's another strike against him.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Smasher, I always enjoy your posts immensely, but you're being a little bit dishonest in the lack of full Sutton disclosure here.

Your win total numbers are right, but let's delve a little deeper. I think we'll see that Sutton wasn't exactly getting beaten in the win column by Secretariat-like margins.

1970 -- Osteen 16 wins, Sutton 15 wins
    1971 -- Downing 20 wins, Sutton 17 wins and a better ERA
    1972 -- Osteen 20 wins, Sutton 19 wins and a 2.08 ERA, more than a half-point better than Osteen
    1974 -- Messersmith 20 wins, Sutton 19 wins
    1975 -- Messersmith 18 wins, Hooton 18 wins, Sutton 16 wins
    1977 -- Tommy John 20 wins, Rick Rhoden 16 wins, Sutton 14 wins, but second in ERA
    1978 -- Hooton 19, John 17, Rau 15, Sutton 15.
    1979 -- Sutcliffe 17, Sutton 12-15.

The only year in there were Sutton was not effective was '79, when the Dodgers sucked in general (and Sutton would go 13-5, 2.20 ERA in his last year with L.A. in '80). Sutton had more staying power than any pitcher on that list except Osteen (at the end of his line) and John (who pitched at a just barely over mediocre level for eons).

I'm not saying he's Cy freaking Young, but Sutton's career is trashed way too much. I think his me-me dickhead reputation is the root cause of a lot of it.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oz --

A brief bit of research will show you that had Blyleven received league-average run support, he'd be well over 300 wins.

He pitched for some very bad teams.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Again ... cumulative stats are a project of longevity as much as greatness. Blyleven is close. If you want to put him in, I won't lose any sleep over it. But he's not a slam dunk. He never won a Cy Young Award. His career ERA+ is 118. He's in a category with Kaat, Sutton, John and a bunch of other guys. Maybe slightly better.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And Blyleven gave up 430 career home runs. He was a walking, talking steroid era.

And bad teams? In his 23-season career (he played 24, but he was hurt through most of 1982, so I'm throwing it out), he played a full season on losing teams in eight of them. It's not like he was constantly surrounded by dreck.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

While longevity counts, I think dominance should count more. And Blyleven was never dominant.

IMO, his strikeout and shutout numbers offset the relative lack of "greatness" to a large degree, and I think he should be in the Hall.

But as jag said, he's not a slam dunk and I won't lose any sleep whether he's in or out. You can make a strong case for both.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All of these contentions have been addressed, and addressed fairly strongly. See for yourself:

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2004/12/bert_blyleven_f_1.php

The lack of a Cy Young Award argument is particularly pernicious, given that one can make a fairly strong case that Blyleven got hosed out of more than one CYA by voters who went largely by win total.

The guy is eighth since 1900 in shutouts. Never dominant?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"one can make a fairly strong case that Blyleven got hosed out of more than one CYA by voters who went largely by win total."</i>

You think? Or do you think the lack of votes was based on the fact that his rep was as a pitcher who could always find a way to lose a game in the late innings? You know one of the ways he did that? By chasing strikeouts instead of just trying to get batters out.

He didn't last long in Pittsburgh because he clashed with Chuck Tanner, which is almost impossible. Tanner would yank Blyleven from games before he could fuck it up in the late innings. Instead of seeing the logic of turning things over to a pretty strong bullpen, Blyleven moped and at one point jumped the club because he wasn't being allowed to attain his personal goals.

9. Smasher_Sloan

His win total speaks for itself. I would never argue that he wasn't a very good pitcher. The rap against him as a HOF candidate was that he rarely was the best pitcher on his own team. For the 10-year period cited, there was almost always someone more impressive on the Dodgers staff.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You mean like in 1977, when he went 14-12 -- with otherwise dominant numbers -- but lost the Cy Young to...

Sparky Lyle.

Or in 1974, when he had the following season stats: 2.66 ERA, 281 IP, 249 K's and 17 wins, and did not receive a single vote for the award?

You're telling me he was overlooked to that extent because he clashed with a manager in Pittsburgh?

Interesting...

Come with better than that, or don't come at all.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Yes, absolutely, his standing in the 1974 Cy Young voting was affected by a clash he would have with a manager two teams later n 1980.

Go back and try reading it again.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I second his plagiarism. Please.

Pretty please.

Vote Bert into the Hall.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted