1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF: Who makes it in addition to Ripken and Gwynn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Consider Blyleven's numbers, then consider him in a NY uniform.

The fact that people like Tommy John or "Donny Baseball" get any consideration ... ugh.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Canseco was adorable as the little boy in "Sleepless in Seattle."

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

It's a goddamned shame McGwire didn't make it.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Blyleven's lack of support is a head-scratcher.

His biggest problem is that he wasted his best years pitching for those miserable Twins teams. By the time he got on good teams, he wasn't the same.

He deserves better.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Blyleven spent nine full seasons with the Twins. They had winning records in four of those seasons (two first-place finishes), were .500 in two seasons and had losing records in three.

In three of the four winning seasons, someone other than Blyleven led the staff in wins.

With the 1979 WS Pirates, he was fourth in wins. The following year he was five games under .500 for a team that finished four games over.

But he had a lot of strikeouts.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Are you actually saying that Tommy John, with 288 career wins, doesn't even deserve <i>consideration?</i>

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I'll say it.

Without the surgery, Tommy John's name is less relevant than Old Hoss Radbourne. He was the definition of a journeyman.

No way in hell he should get in to the Hall.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Casty, no need to apologize for anything. Just always happy to see you add your two cents.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Without the surgery? Why not say without the 300-odd wins, Don Sutton woul dbe less relevant than Old Hoss Radbourne and the definition of a journeyman?

When Tommy John dies, the first line in his obit will be about his surgery and how it extended the careers of thousands of pitchers. It defines him. He shouldn't be punished because it gave him the chance to rack up 288 wins.

I don't think John's a HOFer, but he certainly deserves discussion...for both the procedure he inspired and his career.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wasn't clear enough.

I meant without his name being attached to the surgery, few know who he is as a pitcher. Being the namesake of the surgery is the reason he's a household name, and still in the discussion. If it was called "elbow ligament replacement surgery" or some such procedural name, Tommy John the pitcher doesn't sniff Cooperstown.

I didn't mean anything about John himself having the surgery. Sorry.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Blyleven was a good pitcher who accumulated numbers by sticking around a long time. Some folks like those kinds of candidates. Not me. I prefer greatness. Blyleven made two All-Star teams, finished in the Top 5 in the Cy Young voting three times and had an ERA+ of 118. That's not great.

Frankly, he's Don Sutton without the 300 wins. And Sutton shouldn't be in.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Even if the surgery doesn't bear his name he still ends up with 288 wins...worthy of consideration, but ultimately, short of enshrinement.

I do think the surgery makes him a more serious candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted