1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF: Who makes it in addition to Ripken and Gwynn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 9, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, if 3 blanks were turned it, Gwynn and Cal are at least 3 short of unanimous

2. I'd love it if Andre Dawson finally got in. I think he has the resume.

An MVP (finished second two other times), four Silver Sluggers, eight Gold Gloves, Top-10 in average five times, Top-10 in slugging eight times, Top-10 in OPS six times, Top-10 in hits six times, Top-10 in total bases 10 times and Top-10 in home runs and RBIs nine times. Most comparable to Billy Williams and Tony Perez, two Hall of Famers.

Unfortunately, wrecked knees and playing his prime during the offensively challenged '80s may cost him. Though he has been inching closer to induction each year.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ripken and Gwynn are locks without a doubt.

Personally I want Dawson, Morris, and Gossage to get in. Blyleven, as much as I like him, will probably be regulated to the Veterans Committee.

Oh, I read something this morning that caught my eye and I wished I would have copy and pasted the link, if I could remember it. Fay Vincent the head of the Committee to select the Negro Leaguers into the HOF. And the link suggested that Vincent is the one who deliberately kept Buck from getting in Cooperstown.

What I need to know is this: was Vincent on that committee or not last year? I would appreciate any verification that is around.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Casty doesn't come around here any more?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it's a two-man deal here. I'd like to see Rice and Gossage get in, but I don't hold out too much hope.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He does. He still checks in on baseball and TV threads.

If this is still on the first page come morning, I bet he posts.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Jack Morris should be in. But he won't be.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good to see we agree on at least one thing.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In addition to Gwynn and Ripken, I'd like to see Gossage, Rice, Concepcion and Dawson get in.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I honestly think Rice could make it this year as an anti-steroid candidate. Christ, if he'd used drugs to bulk up his muscles, Rice might've hit 1200-foot homers on a regular basis in 1976-80.
    I voted for McGwire (that's another thread). Of the non-controversial candidates, I also voted for Rice, Gossage, Morris, and Blyleven. But I usually pick more guys than my electoral peers.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Since Sutter is in, Gossage should also be in since Goose was better.

Had Blyleven played in New York, he'd have been a first-ballot person. He should also be in.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm pretty sure Casty is going to stay out of this debate for now because too many assholes will give his abuse for being pompous and say he should have his vote taken away after he gives a perfectly logical argument for voting or not voting for certain players.
    It's how this board is sinking...the assholes are taking over and some good people are just staying away from the bullshit.

Meanwhile, Gee, you voted for too many guys. You should have your vote taken away. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted