1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF Veterans Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://community.baseballhall.org/Page.aspx?pid=428

Winners announced Dec. 7.

Managers and Umpires: managers Charlie Grimm, Whitey Herzog, Davey Johnson, Tom Kelly, Billy Martin, Gene Mauch, Danny Murtaugh and Steve O’Neill; umpires Doug Harvey and Hank O’Day.

Executives: Gene Autry, Sam Breadon, John Fetzer, Bob Howsam, Ewing Kauffman, John McHale, Marvin Miller, Gabe Paul, Jacob Ruppert and Bill White.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Marvin Miller is the most egregious HOF oversight in the sport. I'm sure he'll miss out again. Maybe they're waiting for him to turn 100.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Ruppert hadn't made the Hall yet. He only rescued a franchise that had two corrupt owners and turned it into the most successful franchise in the sport.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Billy Martin and Miller easy, Martin made several teams winners, Miller changed the game and I guess you could say gave the players more incentive to play better.
    I know a lot of the other names, but I couldn't exactly tell you how they impacted the game.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Marvin Miller should not only be in, they should have a special exhibit for him in the HOF, if they don't.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Miller really is in purgatory. The Powers That Be don't want to reward him for introducing the free market to the game, and today's multi-millionaires, by and large, are too fucking stupid and arrogant to appreciate the guy who made it all possible.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only Hall of Fame Billy Martin ever should be admitted to is one for drunken, racist, anti-semitic, bigoted douchebags.
    He's a unanimous selection to the Piece of Shit hall of scumbags.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So that's one "no" vote for Billy Martin...

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, you've been to Cooperstown?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So, that's a yes vote.

As it should be.

An Doug Harvey and Marvin Miller would be my other picks.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In fairness, those qualities haven't kept anyone else out of the HOF.

Miller's selection, if an when it does happen, would be bittersweet and sad. His wife, Terry, died a couple weeks ago. They would have been married 70 years on Dec. 24. She's the person with whom he would have shared whatever sense of satisfaction remained in the moment after being denied the honor for so long.

If that time comes the story won't be, "Hooray! Miller is in the HOF!" as much as it will be "WTF took you so long?"

12. You could replace "Billy Martin" with "Ty Cobb" and still be 100-percent right.

Draft saved Draft deleted