1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF: Clean out the riffraff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 8, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How about capping the number at 310? For every one you elect from now on, you have to vote one out. I think Posnanski might have floated this idea first.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So we would have "former Hall of Famers"? That just feels weird.

3. swingline

More like your aunt divorcing her husband of 20 years. You've known him as Uncle X for 15 years, but now he's no longer your uncle by marriage although he still seems like part of the family when you see him. Or something like that.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This might make the SJ.com Hall of Fame as perhaps the dumbest Hall of Fame discussion ever.

5. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

It'll have to compile first.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Big Gaylord Perry fan?

7. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

He was a compiler AND a cheater! Best of both worlds, at least in the minds of the HOF voters.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would love to see the plaque-pulling ceremony.

Relatives could come and give angry speeches. Committee members apologizing for their votes.

Might beat Big Brother 17 in ratings.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Could the guys who got pulled be put back on the ballot the next season and maybe get voted in again?? "Joe Blow is a two-time Hall of Famer and was Rookie of the Year three times."

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is certainly in the discussion. These guys are Hall of Famers. You think their presence diminishes the honor? Nowhere near as much as allowing people to be removed would diminish it.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of my favorite comedy albums back in the '70s was National Lampoon's "The Missing White House Tapes," a spoof of Watergate and Nixon. One of the highlights was the official "swearing out" ceremony, which consisted of Billy Graham (a pretty well done impression, BTW) cursing at Nixon.

It's at 37:38.

That's what this reminds me of.

12. swingline

Now that's funny.

As for my original post on this thread, looks like I should have used the blue font.

Draft saved Draft deleted