1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball HOF: Clean out the riffraff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 8, 2015.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the system bill james floated in the politics of glory. Very interesting idea.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Examples?

3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

The "compilers" idea, for starters.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Winfield, Puckett, Murray

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think you could make a pretty compelling argument that the veterans committee selected players, that most of them don't belong.

And as long as the writers make arbitrary standards for who gets in and who doesn't, the hall will always be a little dumb in my opinion.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'd hate to be the guy who has to tell a HOF-quality player he better retire now and stop compiling.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When compilers were sinners.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Was the compiler ever dominant? Was he ever considered one of the best at his position when he played?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But there were some players like Mattingly who was dominant for 5-6 years. Was the best at his position. But couldn't hang on in order to compile. He's shut out.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I worked in Eppa Rixey's hometown. If he's removed from the Hall people there might riot.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Deadball era guys are so tough because a lot of people look at them through today's lens and the numbers look terrible. And there is the fact that you are voting for Hall of Fame guys based on history to that point. They look worse when they get passed by later generations.

And for some of those listed by JayFarrar:

Frank Chance should be in. The other poem subjects, probably not, but that stretch of dominance by the Cubs without any of them would be repped by just Three-Finger Brown.
    Waddell had a really great seven-year stretch at the turn of that century.
    For a mostly 1800s guy, Joe Kelley stands on his merits. No one's heard of him now but looking back, I don't see why he wouldn't/shouldn't have made it.
    Ross Youngs is the Old-Timey Kirby Puckett, except in Youngs case his career was ended by death. He had really good numbers the first full seven years of his career, had a below average one and then had his last season cut short by the disease that killed him the next year. And he has the postseason credit as well

Draft saved Draft deleted