1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball hall of famers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jim Rice was a Mendoza-line, replacement-level asshole. Aloof and standoffish, but basically if you didn't bother him, he wouldn't bother you. Albert Belle was an All-Star, Hall of Fame asshole. No one was a greater asshole in the clutch. He made all his teammates better assholes. No one was better at mentoring young assholes. Albert really knew the fundamentals. He really Assholed The Right Way.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/v/cMv8HiLGmwA

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And if you wanna go along with others' lines of thinking, he's a juicing asshole.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is the suspicion he used Asshole-Enhancing Substances. ::) ::)

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm not trying to be a dick, but using those numbers, Manny averaged 37 homers and 120 RBIs a season....not 41 and 134.

Still a HOFer, but just sayin'

6. Perry's in but doesn't belong in my book (not a popular read, though). Also, Gary Sheffield isn't a Hall of Famer, and neither are Kirby Puckett, Albert Belle, Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, etc.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I truly, truly don't understand people who don't think Puckett belongs.

Did you never see the man play?

Miss the playoffs in 1991?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Puckett should be in because he was a player who defined his era, despite his relative lack of years. Now, if the woman-beating stuff would have come out during his career, it could have affected his standing.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Gotta put Puckett in. Two rings, face of a great team. I'm with you on the rest of them, though. Hall of Fame should be a high standard, not a "well, Gaylord Perry got in, so XXX should too."

10. One season does not put a player in the Hall of Fame.

See Roger Maris.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Someone posted a comparison here where Mattingly's stats compared favorably with Puckett's. And before his back went, Donnie Baseball was the last of the 'little' HR hitters.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Rogers Hornsby played for four teams in four seasons; Dave Winfield played for six, so the journeyman argument is specious.

And why are we wasting precious synapses on Biggio? Or Manny? Or Thomas?

No-brainer. No-brainer. No-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted